MD and Band - Parting Company - Is there a right time?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sabrina_2, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Sabrina_2

Sabrina_2 New Member

Okay, I could be talking hypothetically, but I guess to ask this question there has to be a serious side to it. ;)

Is there a right time for MD/Conductor and band to part company? Can you go on for years and years, working well together and achieving? Or does there come a time when things become 'stale'? What happens if there is the beginning of a 'mutiny' amongst one or two band players. Personality clashes. Does familiarity breed contempt? Does an MD begin to think s/he is like 'God' and start trying to run the band their way? What about when a successful condutor has brought a band from the lower sections to the top, do they have the right to dictate how the band has to be run to ensure they remain where they have risen to? Does a committee have a responsibility towards both band and MD or just the band?

Just some thoughts running through my mind and wondering if there is an answer. :-?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Interesting thread, but with no definitive answer IMO. It depends on the band. Some bands motor along perfectly happy with the same MD for hundreds of years. However, I was MD of a band and I felt that I was rapidly running out of new ideas about how to motivate them, what music to play etc so I handed in my notice. I'm still friends with all of them, but I think it was the best thing to do all round.
  3. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Suppose it all depends on if the committee love the MD more than they love the prospective existence of the band, if that is the case then they are obviously in for alot of trouble down the line! If players are getting miffed with the MD, then it's the commitee's job to address this before things kick off, and they should be clearly seen by all concerned to be doing this (in my opinion, hypothetically of course).
  4. Texus

Texus Member

I think it really depends on how well the MD can motivate players, both in concert and contest. I could scream with boredom at ours sometimes, but then he does a fantastic job of putting together performances just when you are getting a bit tired.
  5. zak

zak Member

A lot of bands may not necessarily have a committee though. I know lots of bands without a committee including the one I recently left.

It's a difficult question this one and like someone previously said it's all down to individual bands. I personally think there comes a time when things become stale or MD loses respect, once that is gone then there is only one outcome, ie both sides part company.

6. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Committee, manager, chairman- or who ever is 'in charge' then if you like. :biggrin:
  7. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I've always thought that, as an MD, you always have a shelf-life, especially if you are also the band's resident and doing every rehearsal and engagement. I've only resigned from one band in the past for this reason and it was a very tricky decision as the band had been pretty successful winning quite a string of contests and gaining promotion to the championship section during my tenure. As a result, I felt I had a good relationship with the commitee and players, but the band started struggling to fill gaps, attendances became very poor and in rehearsal and it became a nightmare getting the band to progress and maintain rehearsal discipline.

I think the shelf-life of an MD varies depending on the relationship between the person and the players, but I would always be careful to leave a situation I felt was becoming unworkable - which is probably why I've never been sacked (touch wood!!!!!!)
  8. Heather

Heather Member

I agree totally!
  9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Yes definately! I've conducted two bands in the past six years. On both occasions I have felt that the time was right for me to leave. The first band was a 4th section village band. They were struggling when I took over and the first year was great. Sadly, apathy took hold and I found myself banging my head against a brick wall, so left. The second time, I was standing in as MD during a band's very difficult patch. I got totally fed up with the backstabbing and bitchiness and walked out. And, you know what? I don't regret it one bit!
  10. persins

persins Member

MDs and Bands can split for all kinds of reasons. Some good, some not so good. Except for in extreme cases, there is not a definite time when the split should happen.
    Each band has a different way of working and it will very much depend on the individuals involved when the split is appropriate.

I also believe that MDs do have a shelf life and can be with a band too long. They can then lose the professional distance and objectivity required in the position of MD. It is not always the case that an MD will stay long enough to reach it, whatever it may be!!

It is useful to have fresh ideas and different interpretations but there is a lot to be said for consistency of MD so that they can fully understand the band members and get the most out of them.