Maynard Fergusson (Screecher or Brilliance)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by James McFadyen, Jan 24, 2004.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

I must admit while some people see Maynard as nothing more than a screecher, I think he is one of the most greatest Trumpeters ever!

His version of Girl Talk (originally written by the great Neal Hefti) and it's simply oustanding!

What do all you other people think of Maynard, sometimes it can be a little over-powering, like his version of MacArthur Park or Rocky Gonna Fly Now!

2. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

i have him playing the hot canary wot a lip.

3. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Screecher. Technically brilliant of course, but frankly, wot's the point?
    BMB
    xx

4. lornamac

lornamac New Member

He is a God!!!

It may not be delivered in the best possible taste but there is no denying that he is quite brilliant and one of a kind!

I've heard him live several times and the show he puts on is spectacular.
    The myriad of CD's he's released over the years are also maybe not to everyone's taste but the boy can play high!!

My personal favourites are:

Star Trek (Extremely long and totally bonkers flute solo!)
    Star Wars Disco Mix (The title speaks for itself..)
    Gonna Fly Now ( the original and best!!!)

There are so many others....

5. Highams

Highams Member

If you think he's a screecher, get some new hi-fi !

I think he has the possibly the ultimate range that never suffers tone loss.

The LP with 'Maria' starts so low with a big fat huge tone and just goes up into the Alps !

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I think he's fantastic.

First time I heard Star Trek I thought somebody in the room was whistling is was so high. I had to listen on the earphones just to make sure it was him. I'm positive that last note's off the piano.

I saw him at Scotts a few years ago and he was brilliant. Although I do think the band he has behind him is being relied on more and more now - but hey, he is 76 this year. The last time I saw him was a couple of years ago and he was as awesome as ever but the band were quite disappointing.

My favourite of his has to be MacArthur Park.

7. amgray

amgray Member

Don't forget the tremendous work he did while with the Stan Kenton Band, late 1950's I think. Maybe some of the silver-surfer tMPers can enlighten?

8. James McFadyen

9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

You can find out more here:

http://www.gr8music.com/Ferguson,_Maynard/mf-bio.html

But here's a snippet:

In 1949, while still a teen, Maynard dissolved his Canadian band and moved to the United States, planning to accept a standing offer from Stan Kenton to join his orchestra. Kenton, however, had decided to take a year off. It turned out to be a valuable year for Maynard nonetheless, as he gained experience playing in the Boyd Rayburn, Jimmy Dorsey and Charlie Barnett bands. Then came his very visible three-year stint with the Stan Kenton Orchestra, where Maynard's virtuosic technique and phenomenal upper-register catapulted him to stardom.

Makes very interesting reading. What a player!!!!

10. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I think Maynard and his Big Bop Nouveau may be on at this years' wigan Jazz Festival, 9th - 17th July.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Girl Talk
    Maynard Fergusson
    Brilliance
    version of MacArthur Park
    version of Girl Talk
  12. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

His flexibility is to die for!!! That's what I call the ultimate playing!

13. jambo

jambo Member

Have to agree with Highams, his performance of Maria is truly awesome as are most of his performances. I've got loads of his recordings all of which are worth marveling at each time they get an airing.

14. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Awesome player. Bram Gay wrote somwhere about Jack Macintosh that he was an incredible player, one to admire but impossible to imitate. That applies to Maynard Ferguson too, in spades.

15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

For me Maynard is pure class. Having been taught trumpet by a Maynard fan, I learnt to admie his work. Just try playing Gospel John. Its insane.

My favourites have to be;

Chamleon
    Gospel John
    La Fiesta - duelling trumpets!!!

16. James McFadyen

I really love his stuff! it is great stuff and totally dirty as hell, but like some said earlier, his tone up there is amazing!

17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Just in case anyone is interested I e-mailed MF's official website for information on UK gigs this year and got this in reply:

Matthew,
    At this moment, there are no dates scheduled...but Maynard's itinerary has only been projected for the first four or five months of 2004....Hopefully he will visit sometime later in 2004, but I do not have any news to that fact at this time...thanks for your interest!
    Regards,
    Dom Camardella

Just thought you'd like to know.

18. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

I thought a lot about Maynard when I first heard him, especially the Rocky tune, but then a good friend of mine got a recording of a trumpet player called Paul Caccia (or something similar!), he is awesome. Gonna be daring enough to say that he's better than Maynard!

19. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Maynard Ferguson has been in a league all his own for years, the power and consistency of his playing are amazing. I believe it's his style of play that makes him unique, together with the fact that he can do just about as well on the valve trombone.

Others with similar credentials in my mind are Doc Severinsen and Arturo Sandoval; different styles but awesome chops!

Derek Watkins is up there too (pun intended :wink: )

20. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

And don't forget my personal favourite, Jon Faddis.

G.

21. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

I'd also be tempted to add James Morrison to the list too. I've got one or two Maynard recordings, some of which I really like, but others I find just too tasteless.

Cheers, Greg.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Girl Talk
    Maynard Fergusson
    Brilliance
    version of MacArthur Park
    version of Girl Talk