Maynard Ferguson RIP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AndyCat, Aug 24, 2006.

1. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

RIP indeed. A true legend.

3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Second that. Saw him many times and would never tire of listening to this genius of a trumpet player.

He will be sorely missed.

4. markyboy

markyboy Member

First we lose Don Lusher , then a couple of months later Maynard Ferguson.

Two players that will never be replaced. Very sad to hear this news.

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sad news indeed! A big influence for many who wanted to cross that bridge to jazz and big band playing.

6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Very sad news indeed.
    As has been said before, 2 musical geniuses lost in a short space of time.

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

The high notes he couldn't hit aren't worth mentioning.

Sad loss.

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I was just about to post in the other thread on influences when I spotted this.
    Maynard inspired a generation of trumpet players, myself included. He leaves behind a legacy of young alumni that can be found in most of the bands of note in the US through his policy in recent years of encouraging younger players. A check of his gig list some years often reveals more college gigs than Jazz clubs.
    A giant amongst trumpet players he will be sadly missed. Like Matt, I also saw him most years he was over including the last time at Ronnies - which turned out to be probably his last live recording.

9. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Very sorry to hear that :( . Unfortunately I never got the chance to hear him live, but I have a few of his CD's and DVD's. Legendary guy.

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And normal people couldn't hear the highest notes he could hit....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    passing
    Maynard Ferguson
    Maynard Ferguson RIP
    url
    Canada
  12. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Another legend. Sadly missed.

13. dickyg

dickyg Member

"Star Trek" was the first thing I heard him play when I was kid - couldn't believe what I was hearing!!!!!!

14. squirrel

squirrel Member

I was introduced to the sound of Maynard on band tours with the Sheffield Youth Brass Band, and whilst I can understand it isn't to everyones tastes, I think most people are in awe of just how high he could play (my best mate's partner goes "oh no, sooty and sweep again" :))

My particular favourites are "Gospel John" and "Birdland", but I'll never be able to play high enough to do either particular justice :(

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Three words to describe him: Trumpet playing genius.

Rest in Piece.

16. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

We're playing Birdland at Troon tomorrow - erm, today... - MC's notes have been changed to announce Sandy's arrangement of the arrangement by the late Maynard - if he'd shuffled off this mortal coil a few days later, we might have felt guilty :eek:

A great player, sadly missed. Even by those of us who only had recordings to go by.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- at the time Sandy wrote that arrangement I hadn't heard Maynard's version. I complimented Sandy on the way he penned it and you should have seen my face when I heard the original on a compilation of Maynard's charts .... :ranting2: I'm sure the original is not mentioned on the arrangement's score! (... but I could be wrong)

post-edit:- N.B., I do know that Birdland was originally written by Joe Zawinul and played by Weather Report .... just before anybody jumps down my throat! :cool:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2006
  18. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The arrangement is credited Arr. Smith Comp. Zawinul - I've got the Weather Report album (Heavy Weather), but hadn't heard Maynard's version until fairly recently - conductor's car, post rehearsal - awesome! I'd wondered where Sandy's cornet solos had come from...

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- who have you got playing the solo at the end? (... bringing in someone or is your solo cornet/sop. going to brave the storm?) :confused:

20. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Bring in someone? - wash your mouth out!! (we've got deps on bass and kit, where we're currently lacking...)

Stuart Dickson, principal cornet, is giving it laldy - maybe not note for note what's written (don't tell the man in the box!), but would Maynard have necessarily followed the dots? ;)

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- good to know then! ;) Best of luck with it at Troon!

(also check out Maynard's second version of Birdland with recent band Big Bop Nouveau ... stunning!)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    passing
    Maynard Ferguson
    Maynard Ferguson RIP
    url
    Canada