Maurice Rayner - another William Rimmer pseudonym?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by slaidpog, Jan 12, 2012.

1. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

2012 sees the 150th anniversary of the birth of the great William Rimmer and I am intending
    to use more of his music in programmes this year, besides the well-known marches, and including
    music he composed under other names.

I know he composed under a number of pen names - Raymond, Hessler, le Duc, etc., and one
    of the members of the band thinks that "Maurice Rayner" was another name used.

Can anyone out there offer any inforamtion on this?

Many Thanks.
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Or do you mean Austin Rayner? I know only one piece of his - Wuthering Heights, which for brown music, is actually quite good. I've got an ancient recording of Stanshawe playing it under Derek Bourgeois. I wasn't aware that it was a pen name though - but you could be right.
  3. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

No Jim, it's definitely Maurice Rayner - I have just checked one of the pieces in question,
    a Fantasia called "The Sunbeam" published by F. Richardson who did a lot of Rimmer's music
    including a certain march well known to Slaidburn Band!!
  4. JR

JR Member

Austin Rayner no relation surely!

Faireys also recorded it on one of the Paxton labels - Rimmer died in 1936 so extremely unlikely

I agree Wuthering isnt that bad - I think it was an Area test piece from about 1960 - it belongs in that category of long lost stuff, used only once e.g Gordon Jacob's Joyful Noise and Pride of Youth (1970/71)

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

There are a lot of folk from the mists of time it's difficult to find information on. I remember wondering who William German was, and why he didn't seem to have written more than just "The President" - an absolute cracker of a march. It may be a pseudonym I suppose, but I've no idea who for.
  6. James Yelland

According to my copy of John Maines's Compere's Notes, other pen names include Kenneth Henschel, Michael Laurent and even Heather Dean. No mention of Rayner though. Also - and I don't want to rain on your parade but feel I ought to mention it - according to Maines Rimmer was born in 1861, which means you've left the celebration a bit late! However, I have already spotted some mistakes in this book so perhaps he's wrong and you're right! Good luck!
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's curious - I'd only ever seen 1862 given as his birth year, but there are 10 times as many results for a Google search linking him to 1861 as there are to 1862... But there does seem to be substantial disagreement on the point.
  8. slaidpog

slaidpog New Member

Thanks for the replies - Maurice Rayner may remain a mystery!

However - I am now going to check my reference material for Rimmer's birth year!
    I have always worked on the 1862 date assuming this to be correct and somewhere
    amongst all my papers I have an article penned by Drake Rimmer, William Rimmer's
    nephew, who I think confirms this date.

(The wife is going to love this - more paperwork spread on the living room floor!)
  9. James Yelland

I think you should be able to get a copy of Rimmer's birth certificate from The General Register Office (for a fee of course). He was born in Southport, according to Maines. Recollections of a nephew might not be as reliable. But anyway, in the worst case you can still celebrate the 151st anniversary of his birth - it doesn't have to be a round number!
  10. MoominDave

I think we can solve at least the Austin Rayner mystery with the help of the internet: (p.6, starting near the bottom of the first column)
    It seems that his real name was Michael Austin, an organist who lived at Harrogate. I've emailed the lady who wrote the article in order to check that it is the same person.

So presumably Maurice Rayner is no relation...
  11. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Isn't William German ~ J. Ord Hume ????????
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Is it?

That would explain the quality certainly - where did you hear that? I'm not doubting your word I'm just interested as my own researches turned up a complete blank.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Try here (translated Dutch Wiki summary). There is a book covering his life if you want to buy it ...
  14. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Thanks for this link between William and Drake; I wasn't sure what the relation between the two was! Do you happen to know Drake's dates? There's no Wiki article on him, or any mention of him in the article on William...

Many thanks,

15. MoominDave

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

There are a couple of grammatically strange sentences in that article, leading me to believe that it is an almost literal translation of an English text...
  17. MoominDave

It certainly looks pretty odd when you change it to English via Google translate
  18. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

An article by Walter Ainscough in The Rakeway Brass Band Yearbook for 1988 lists 21 pseudonyms used by Rimmer but there is no Rayner. Of course this may not be the definitive list - I know Roy Newsome had some doubts about some of the names listed.

As for his age, the 1891 census lists a William Rimmer, musician, of Southport as being aged 29 which would suggest the 1862 date is correct. The 1901 census has a William Rimmer, Musician Band Conductor, aged 39 which would seem to confirm that date.
  19. MoominDave

The 1891 census date was 5th April; the 1901 census date was 31st March. We know from those ages that William Rimmer was born some time between 6th April 1861 and 31st March 1862. In other words, 1861 is about 3 times as likely as 1862 based on those facts.

Anyone out there have access to the list of Births, Marriages and Deaths for Southport in the early 1860s?
  20. James Yelland

Yes , everyone. As mentioned in post #9, the General Register Office is the place to go for birth certificates.