Maurice Murphy, rtd.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Brian Bowen, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Prompted by 4barsrest, I enjoyed the podcast on the LSO website paying tribute to this "legendary" trumpet/cornet player on his 2nd retirement from the orchestra. Some of the tributes are quite moving. Worth listening!
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just spent an enjoyable 40 minutes listening to the tributes to Maurice - and the extracts of his playing. Well worth tuning in to, if you can find the time!
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'm surprised more people haven't been on this thread. I've just done an awesome couple of days with the LSO. Berlioz Grande Messe with Yan Pascal Tortelier in St Paul's Cathedral. For those who don't know it, Berlioz wrote this piece for huge orchestra and four brass choirs. I turned up to find I was playing 1st trombone in Band 1 (North) with.....Maurice Murphy sat on 1st trumpet next to me! I had met Maurice a couple of times before, but never played together. I made a point of listening to the LSO podcast today and I can honestly say that I feel privileged to have played in the LSO with him. He's 40-odd years older than me, so it's unlikely I will ever get the chance again. What's more, he's such a nice bloke!