Maurice Murphy recordings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Alyn James, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

I've just received delivery of a CD (EMI Classics - LSO, cond. Michael Tilson Thomas, soprano Barbara Hendricks, rec. 1994) containing Copland and Barber music.

I ordered the CD specifically to hear Maurice Murphy playing Copland's "Quiet City" and have not been disappointed :)clap: ). I now realise I have an MM-shaped gap in my record collection which needs to be filled pronto.... any suggestions?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maurice Murphy
    Barbara Hendricks
    Barber
    EMI Classics - LSO
    Copland
  3. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look and haven't taken time to see if these are still available but two CD's are:

Just Good Friends - DOY CD020 (With Don Lusher)

The Lighter Side of Maurice Murphy - DOY CD007

If you can find a copy, there is also the live premier recording of the Tomlinson Concerto from the 1974 National Brass Band Festival - awesome - I was there and still get a thrill from the memory (and the fact that I have the recording too!)

He also recorded the Denis Wright Concerto with City of Coventry, also in 1974 which I have too.

There may be others....

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hi again,

Just looked and both CD's are on WoB Tunes.

5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I just bought both of these from WoB tunes-not disapointed, espesh at a fiver each!

6. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Played on that lighter side of maurice murphy and it was one of the easiest recording sessions I've ever done....and he bought us all a pint after :)

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've been searching for copies of the 1992 CD of Maurice Murphy playing 'Favourite Trumpet Concertos' released on the Collins Classics Quest label online to no avail. If you get a hold of this recording you will not be disappointed. He plays (accompanied by the Consort Of London) concertos by Haydn, Hummel, Arutiumian & ends the session with Rondeau, 'The Prince Of Denmark's March' (J. Clarke) and Trumpet Tune & Air from 'The Indian Queen' (H. Purcell).

8. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Get the 1974 Brass band festival LP, it features Maurice Murphy playing the debut performance of Cornet Concerto by Ernest Tomlinson - Fantastic

9. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'm pretty sure he recorded with the NYBBGB .....
    don't know when though, so that's not very helpful..........

10. Alyn James

Alyn James Member

Thanks, guys. There's also a review on 4BR (Articles) of an LP released in 1982 (entitled "Concerto") with Yorks. Imps., which looks great but is probably impossible to get hold of.

There's not much out there, is there!

Perhaps it's time for some enterprising recording company to compile a Maurice Murphy "Ultimate Collection"......

11. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Maurice Murphy LP and EP Records

I currently have five of the six vinyl recordings of Maurice, available for sale on the KEITH QUINN BAND MEMORABILIA website as follows: -

http://www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/05brasslpep.htm

Scroll down to COC6, YI6, V22, V43EP, V78-2LP. I also had BD52EP but this has now been sold.

Keith Quinn

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maurice Murphy
    Barbara Hendricks
    Barber
    EMI Classics - LSO
    Copland