Maurice Murphy has died :-(

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by madrich, Oct 28, 2010.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

It is a great shame that it happened in this way, but sadly mistakes do happen. In this particular case it happens to be someone that means a lot to the brass world, but every day there will be mistakes that will have an impact on a family somewhere.
    When we, as musicians, make a mistake then the results might mean that an audience doesn't get the "perfect" performance (or we don't do well at a contest). In the grand scheme of things, this is hardly an issue.
    Tragically, when a Doctor makes a mistake it is possible that someone dies.
    If we were to fire every musician who ever made a mistake, the band rooms of this country would be even emptier than they already are. It is a hard thing to say, but I really don't feel we should expect to fire the Doctor in this case - he made a mistake.
    Yes, it is a tragedy when mistakes happen (especially if it results in the death of someone that we might personally know) but they do and (very sadly) they always will.

Maurice - the music lives on (as do the memories)

2. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Just read the link. Very , very sad and all so avoidable.As Trumpetmike says , mistakes do happen and unfortunately in the medical / nursing profession the results can be catastrophic.

I've worked in the ITU setting for years at a fairly senior level , and in my organisation we have a defined protocol for ensuring the NG is correctly placed by aspirating stomach contents and verifying with X ray before feeding. The tube is also checked after the first hour , then two and then four to see that the feed is being absorbed. I can't ( much as I have tried since seeing this last night ) for the life of me imagine how or why a newly established feed has been allowed to continually run ( at least as the article implies and one of course has to be cautious in this regard) for two days before this most basic error was discovered.

Should the Dr be fired ? thats a difficult one and I agree to an extent with Trumpetmike's view. However , there does appear ( and again I'm only going on the premise of the article ) that there was a wilful ignorance of hospital procedure and the concern of the nursing staff.I suspect that , were the family to pursue this then the GMC may be having a word.

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

I am appalled at the arrogance of the Doctor concerned.
    He should at least suffer demotion and retraining.
    It is terrible how such a smashing guy with such a rich talent could be snuffed out by an act of high handed incompetence.

- Mr Wilx

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

It's difficult. It would seem easy on the face of it to blame the Junior Doctor, but I'm not convinced that all the facts are known. In many ways I would guess it's just symptomatic of a general malaise in the way the NHS is run. There are a couple of questions which spring to mind (to me, at any rate):
    1) If the nurse was so worried that something was wrong, why was there no procedure in place whereby she could communicate her concerns to a "neutral" third party, so as to avoid the difficulty inherent in questioning a "direct" superior ... ?
    2) Once the Radiologist had identified the problem, why was he not "running down the corridor" to ensure that corrective action was taken, rather than simply "filing a report", then assuming that it would be picked up and actioned ... ?

What is really sad is that cock-ups like this probably occur on an almost daily basis on the NHS. As it happens, I have been directly affected by something similar, whereby my Father-in-law had a chest X-ray done some years ago, which showed up a lung tumour, but was somehow "filed" and not forwarded to the right people. By the time it was picked up, it had developed into full-blown lung cancer, from which he subsequently died. Now, no-one can say whether it would have made any difference to his chances of survival if the cancer had been identified earlier, however the doubt will always remain.

For every such instance, there will always be an element of tragedy; there will always be someone's wife, sons, daughters, etc. left wondering "what if ... " and in one sense there is no reason to say that it is in some way a "greater" tragedy, just because the victim in this case is an internationally renowned trumpet player. However there is no doubt that the effect of such an apparently senseless and avoidable loss will be more keenly felt worldwide than would the loss of a relative unknown.

Apologies if the above seems a bit maudlin' and ramblin'; I've often berated myself for inadvisedly posting in the small hours following the consumption of unwise amounts of alcohol, however if i'd waited until the cold light of day, I probably wouldn't have posted at all, and I do feel quite strongly about this, so that would have been a shame, in some ways ...

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Gareth...I think you bring up some great points....and also point out why many in the States are not optimistic of Obamacare!!

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Well-Known Member

I have seen a couple of US trumpeters use this incident as a way of adding to their disliking of Obama and the Health Care that he is trying to get in place. If it was true that mistakes never happen in the private sector then it MIGHT be a valid argument, but tragic mistakes happen in the private medical world as well as the NHS (yes, sadly I have experience of this as well).