Maurice Murphy has died :-(

Discussion in 'Viewers, Non-Registered tMP'ers can post here' started by madrich, Oct 28, 2010.

1. madrich

madrich Member

I'm trying to find a link to verify the story, but its all over twitter and facebook. The former prinicpal of Dyke and the LSO, trumpet superstar Maurice Murphy passed away this morning.

2. Euph4Rob

Euph4Rob New Member

A musical legend who shall be greatly missed.

3. GordonH

GordonH Member

4. fartycat

fartycat Member

LSO's twitter feed has confirmed it.

Very sad day, what a player, what a sound and so modest with it.

5. John_D

John_D Member

A very sad day. Another one of the greats now no longer with us.

6. madrich

madrich Member

7. blue juice

blue juice Member

RIP Maurice :(

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Active Member

Sad news indeed. My thoughts immediately went back to 1974 and his premier performance of the Tomlinson Cornet Concerto at RAH. An amazing, virtuoso performance.........one of many I know, but this one stands out in my memory. Thanks for so many truly wonderful musical memories Maurice; RIP.

9. robcav

robcav Member

I think it's about his final retirement in 2007, rather than his original one in 2000. Very sad news.

10. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

...people that didn't know him or of him new his playing. God Bless Him

11. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Very sad news indeed

12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

So sad to hear this :(

13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

Also confirmed on LSO's Facebook wall.

Very sad news, a genuine musical legend. The finest trumpet player of his generation.

I'm sure there will be floods of tributes to his personality from those who knew him, and tributes to his playing from everyone who heard him. I'd like to add a quick one about his influence on composition.

When Star Wars came out, the trend was for pop/electronic or ensemble soundtracks and the big orchestral sound was deeply unfashionable. Williams score, and particularly Murphy's soaring contribution to the main theme restored the orchestral movie soundtrack to glory at a stroke, and created the "film music" style that has become the standard for Hollywood scores. Williams has gone on record in the past to say that part of the reason he wrote such glorious brass parts in so many of his scores was that he knew that the LSO, and Maurice in particular, would nail them every time. In that sense he's had more influence on modern composition than any avant-garde academic, no matter how famous.

14. Cornet_Matt

Cornet_Matt Member

He was an inspiration for both cornet and trumpet players alike, and he will be greatly missed.

15. maryellan

maryellan New Member

One of the true legends. RIP

16. johnsop

johnsop Member

It is such sad news that the most influential brass player of our generation has passed away and only a few years after his retirement. Maybe the trumpet playing was what kept him going.

RIP Mr Murphy!

17. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Really, really sad news. There isn't much to say that hasn't been said already. A true inspirational legend of brass playing. He will be missed.

18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I didn't know Maurice, and was never fortunate to meet him.

But everyone I know who did meet him always said that he was always professional in his work and always very approachable when people wanted advice.

I know my teacher always looked up to Maurice and rightly so.

Literally billions of people have heard him play and his first note of Star Wars is probably the most known sound in the world. I doubt that can be said of anyone else.

RIP

19. al74

al74 New Member

Met him twice , heard him many times, a true master of the art of projection on a Brass instrument. Will never forget his Mahler 5 !

Rest in Peace

20. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Since his second retirement from the LSO, Maurice Murphy was featured in a concert given by Battle Creek Brass Band in Sarasota (FL). He was introduced as the man who played the trumpet theme tune for Star Wars. Probably no one in the audience, except for me, knew him by name but they certainly recognised that tune when he nailed it. Such a fine player.

My condolences to his family and friends.