Maurice Bale

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by PeterBale, Oct 14, 2010.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure you will be sorry to hear that my dad passed away peacefully in his sleep at 6.30 this morning. He had a fall nine weeks ago, and had been in hospital ever since.

His music started in the Salvation Army at Branksome where, although primarily a trombonist, he found himself on solo cornet during the war!

Having trained as a teacher, he taught chemistry for many years, principally in Coalville and Windsor, before ending his teaching career at Binley Park School, Coventry as Head of Music.

A versatile musician, he played and arranged music for a wide range of groups, including spells on sousaphone at various holiday camps and Alton Towers, at which time he also appeared as a guest on "What's my Line?" He had happy memories of a fortnight's attachment to the Blues and Royals Band, many of whose members he used to gig with in Windsor.

Brass band involvement included Marlow Town Band and Coventry Festival Band (now Jaguar), which he conducted for a while. His arrangements were played far and wide, particularly those for low brass ensembles, although he said his best sellers were flute quartets!

Once details of the funeral are known I'll post an update on here.

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm very sorry to hear of the passing of your father, Peter.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear that, Peter. I remember Maurice occasionally turning up to Rolls-Royce (Coventry) rehearsals [formerly Coventry Festival, now Jaguar] with his arrangements when I used to play there, and he willingly lent me his G trombone for months at a time (including for a two-week tour to Europe 10 years back). I think him one of the nicest people I've met; the world will be a less interesting and pleasant place without him. RIP one of life's originals.

4. Martin

Martin Member

Sorry to hear your sad news, Peter.

5. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'm really sorry to hear this news, Peter, and wish you comfort. Maurice was one of the nicest and most musical people I have ever met. A great loss.

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

My condolences Peter. I pray that you and your family will know the peace that can only come from our Heavenly Father at this time.

7. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

From my days as a 16 year-old with Coventry Festival Band, I remember Maurice well.
    I also remember him playing Baritone for a scratch 'Redditch and Bromsgrove New Town Band' tour of Guernsey, that I went on around the same time (73/74?).
    I am sorry to hear of your loss Peter and the loss to the movement.

8. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Peter, I am so sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts are with you and all members of your extended family.

Keith Quinn
    Sunderland

9. SMead

SMead Member

Peter, this is incredibly sad news. Maurice was a wonderful man who always had time to talk. I enjoyed many long chats at his house in Coventry, and he was always working on something extraordinary. As you know, he arranged dozens of pieces the like of which I dont ever epxect to see again, for low brass ensembles, and was one of the leading lights in the tuba euphonium conferences we've had in the UK, arranging the Finale of Beethoven's 5th, Dukas' Sorcerer's Apprentice for low brass and hundreds more!! His knowledge of so many aspects of classical music was encyclopaedic and his energy was always geered to create something wonderful with his arrangements.
    He will be missed by so many. I enjoyed every moment in his company. I wish you comfort and peace at this difficult time.
    Best regards,
    Steven Mead

10. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Condolences

I am very sorry to hear of Maurice's passing - I knew him for about 20 years and he was a lovely friend.
    My condolences to you the family,
    Rodney Newton

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2010
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Maurice Bale
    Salvation Army
    Marlow Town Band
    Coventry Festival Band
    Royals Band
  12. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

I am really sorry to learn of this sad news. I have known Maurice for over thirty years as a fellow musician and chemist, from his time with the Coventry Festival Band to the time he spent with the AD Concert Band (which I conduct). He had boundless enthusiasm, generosity and talent and was a great inspiration to all who came into contact with him. He will be sadly missed by us all. Our thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Trevor Farren and all at AD Concert Band

13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Sorry to hear this sad news Peter. My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Roger

14. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

My thoughts are with you and your family at this time Peter..he will be a great loss to banding.he was a fantastic musician and friend...I have some really good memories of your Father..I can remember playing at a Sgt's mess dinner where i was the only cornet player..Up turns Maurice with a soprano cornet..Much to my surprise,he played every part on sop transposing to Bb..
    He was a wonderful man and very talented..Also all the charity work he did will be missed.
    My condolences to you at this sad time.

15. LittleEuph

LittleEuph Member

I am very sorry to hear this news Peter- I had the pleasure to play your father's wonderful arrangement of Night on a Bare Mountain at this year's Black Dyke Low Brass Day, and the even greater pleasure of sitting next to him in the rehearsals.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I'm very sorry to here this, Peter. My condolences to your family.

17. on_castors

on_castors Member

Very sorry to hear this sad news.
    Regretfully, I hadn't seen him for a few years, but he was always friendly and chatty to me when we met.

My condolences to you and your family

18. PeterBale

As dad had bequeathed his body to medical science, there will not be a funeral as such, but we are in the process of arranging a Memorial Service which will take place in Coventry in a few weeks' time. Once things have been settled I shall post the details.

If anyone wishes to remember him in a more tangible way, please send a donation to:

Cancer Research UK
    Freepost RRAL-TRSC-TTEL
    Halifax Road
    Melksham
    SN12 6YY

Other methods of giving are listed on their website: www.cancerresearchuk.org

19. PeterBale

We can now confirm that a Memorial Service is to take place at Stoke St Michael's Church, Walsgrave Road, Coventry, on Thursday 25th November, commencing at 1pm. We intend this to be a celebration of dad's life, rather than a mournful occasion, and would be glad to see any friends who are able to attend.

Directions can be found here: http://www.stokestmichaels.co.uk/find.html