Maurice Andre is dead

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Feb 28, 2012.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The great maestro Maurice Andre had died. Thought you might like to know.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maurice Andre
    great maestro Maurice Andre
    Thought
  3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

What band did he play for?

4. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Heathen!!!!

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The Band of the 8th Communications Regiment (French Military) at Mont-Valérien - 1950-51

[Sorry, you did ask ... ]

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not for nothing was Maurice Andre known as 'Le grand trompettiste de notre temps'. That phrase was coined some years ago, but still relevant today, in my view. There are a number of solo trumpeters who are his equal and perhaps more in technique but Andre's technique was phenomenal nonetheless, and his sheer musical panache that accompanied that technique puts him at the top of the tree, for me.

And realising this is largely a banding website, I'll also opine that should he have chosen the path, he would have been 'Le grand ''sop'' de notre temps' as well. (And absolutely no disrespect to those outstanding soprano players banding has already produced!)

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Indeed. Summed up for me by this quotation from an interview he gave to the New York Times in 1983:

“You’re like a matador ... in a bull ring; I see flautists and oboists go on the stage gingerly. If you do that with the trumpet you’re finished. You have to go on as a winner.”

... Could almost have been talking about contesting, in fact ...

8. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Never heard of them. What region/section are they?

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I think their Midlands 1st Section ;)

10. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

2nd section anywhere else then? - presumably Mr Andre's band can borrow from the band drawn before them at the areas if he gets a copy of the death certificate / coroners note?

11. BrianT

BrianT Member

The death of Maurice André

What sad news.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Maurice Andre
    great maestro Maurice Andre
    Thought
  13. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

Yup - taken that one on board!

14. Fendall

Fendall Member

I think what distinguished Maurice Andre for me, and made him the only brass player I ever aspired to, was the full tone and sheer personality that came through his playing - it made everyone else sound like machines (usually with a sickly tone when playing high) in comparison. He was the reason I became a soprano cornetist. I am shocked there are not more serious comments on this thread.

15. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Presumably trumpet / bugle players in the French army only have to learn the "retreat" call ??!! :)

(Sorry Mods , couldn't resist that one !)

16. Mello

Mello Member

Maurice Andre was indeed one of the all time greats. A rather unlikely looking super star - more like a farmer really, but what a player. I remember when on tour in Switzerland with James Shepherd Versatile Brass, we were playing at a music festival in a huge marquee....it was packed. Jim Shepherd prepared to play his solo and noticed that on the front row was Maurice Andre. Jiim did a great job ( as usual ), and as soon as the concert ended, the first person to enter was Maurice Andre wanting to congatulate Jim and the rest of us. ( Most of the conversation had to be via an interpreter, but we were thrilled that not only had he come to the concert on one of his nights off, but he took the trouble to stay behind to chat to us. A great player and ambassador.

17. GordonH

GordonH Member

18. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This is rather confusing - a poster called Gordon H who isn't Gordon Higginbottom follows a post from a poster called Mello who is (I think) Gordon Higginbottom!

Time for my afternoon nap....

19. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I can't believe that people that are supposed brass players don't know who he is! You should all be ashamed! Pioneer of piccolo trumpet playing as well as a fantastic Cornet/Trumpet Soloist!

20. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member