Matt / Frosted finish on instruments.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BigHorn, Apr 25, 2005.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I think matt or frosted finish on brass instruments looks really cool.
    However I know absolutely nothing about it. Is it a metal treatment? is it a lacquer?
    How does it perform compared with a normal lacquer finish (i.e. does it age well, how scratch resistent is it, is it suceptable to pitting etc.)
    Any one got a Matt finish instrument who could share their experience?

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

It can be achieved in one or two ways (that I know of)..

a shot-blast type finish, where the metal is blasted with a fine sand (I guess?)
    or a scratch finish, where the metal is scoured with a fine grade steel wool.

have a look at some of the scratch finishing here...

http://www.eclipsetrumpets.com/2005/welcome.htm

Click the Finishes button!

3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Think twice before you get one of these finishes. They look really cool at first, but they are generally hard to keep looking good. I used to have a matte-finish (Besson) baritone, and I found that the finish wore smooth where my hands touched it, making it look like it had bald spots. A regular shiny finish can be polished back to something resembling it's original condition, but any sort of damage to the matte finish can't be easily fixed.

Also, using the wrong kind of cleaner can destroy the finish in just a few minutes, so make sure you follow the manufacturer's cleaning instructions.

4. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

stay clear..... you can't beat a shiny bell end !!!!:oops:

5. Ross Berry

Ross Berry Member

How many people used to play an Imperial?

Happy days!

6. Adrian Horn

Adrian Horn Member

I'd disagree about this on modern scratch finishes from Eclipse, Yamaha etc. Scratch Gold plate is possibly the easiest to keep looking good. Practically impossible to wear through the gold as it just doesn't react to acid in your sweat, and the scratch effect stops finger prints etc showing up (as it is a shiny gloss) so doesn't need constant polishing.

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The technology has probably gotten better since the instrument that I had. Although the issue that I had wasn't a sweat reaction, it was a polishing effect where the matte finish was burnished down by the mechanical action of the hands touching the instrument.