Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by fartycat, May 20, 2006.

1. fartycat

fartycat Member

I've just heard that there will be a pre-draw on Thursday to divide the contest up into group A, B, or C.

So well done Phillip Biggs for listening to some of the concerns that some of us raised back in March on TMP about scrapping the pre-draw.

It means we might get breakfast now! The B&B's we are staying in all do breakfast starting at 8am and they refused to start any earlier. Our conductor wanted a blow through of the piece on the day of the contest. So with us unsure about when we would be playing, we'd have to rehearse at 8am till 9am then prepare to dash into Cambridge City centre just in case we were drawn first.
  2. JR

JR Member

Pre draw is only sensible - why not do the same for Spring festival?
    Re Cambridge - i note all the Bandsman commentators (including the editor and Iwan fox) have Willebroek to win - kiss of death?

3. impycornet

impycornet Member

As I understand it - the pre-draw was a request from the Police.
  4. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

where they expecting aggro? ;)
  5. impycornet

impycornet Member

I think it is just not wanting all the coaches in a similar place at the same time.

aggro comes later:biggrin:
  6. Heppy

Heppy Member

Sound Police?

Januaryman is coming! Run.......!
  7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Have they reformed? Sting must need the money.....
  8. Steve

Steve Active Member

Not guilty this time. The masters doesnt clash with any recall dates the police have given me :)
  9. strongbow

strongbow Member

I don't think this is new for this year this is how it has been done before. However, I haven't played there for the past couple of years so may have been re-introduced
  10. impycornet

impycornet Member

It was originally withdrawn for this year so that all bands would go into the one draw on the day.

However, it has now been re-instated as a sector draw ( taking place on Thursday I believe) as in previous years.
  11. Firm-but-fair

Firm-but-fair New Member

Firstly, the almighty, all knowing, all seeing fountain of knowledge that is 4BR, will have no more than three of their top 7 'dodgy' prediction in the prizes

An alternative opinion, including reasoning for the choice:

1. Fodens (biggest noise & fine soloists if they can avoid the usual clips, proven form here)
    2. Whitburn (big bounce back to form for strongest Scottish band, player wise - will also suit soloists)
    3. Kirkintilloch (great recent form, highly underated by certain 'media' experts)
    4. Ever Ready (strong set up, working well with conductor, will certainly want to prove their consistency at this level)
    5. Willebroek (very good band, fine soloists, huge recent confidence boost, maybe just a tad overated by some?)
    6. Hepworth (excellent work ethic, growing in confidence, dangerous if at their very best)

Obviously, could well finish in any order, but expect the usual strong Northern English band showing, continued happy hunting ground for the Celts, mixed in with a bit of Belgian magic.

Anyone else care to offer their reasoned opinions?
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Well, if 13 Etoiles are in good form, they will certainly be a contender for the top places!
    I heard that the preparations at Willebroek were going well, with still a lot of rehearsals planned for today and tomorrow ;-)
  13. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Anyone having a rehearsal Saturday night and don't mind a few spectators coming along? Working Sunday so can't get to contest but would love the chance to eavesdrop a little.
  14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Anyone else got any news on the pre draw. I know several but am trying to figure out whos where. There are no problems in putting them on here as it doesnt indicate the number the band will play on the day.
  15. rutribal

rutribal Member

It has been drawn into sections

Sellers are in Section **

COME ON TEAM!!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2006
  16. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Apologies for pulling rank here folks.. but we don't want to risk anyone falling foul of any contest rules here... you know what these Contest Controllers are sometimes like and we'd hate it if anything untoward happened.

Please can we not post any further details on the pre-draw... thanks.... and sorry Steve...:)
  17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Are we sure the pre draw cant be published John as it simply puts the bands into 3 groups?
  18. Di

Di Active Member

Better safe than sorry I reckon Steve. ;)
  19. Steve

Steve Active Member

Thats my moto Di
  20. critic

critic Member

sensiblenot to say who is in what section will be a great contest but predicting the results will be hard as there are many fine bands none of them are mugs and the music is superb