Masters of Space and Time set as test for 2009 All England Masters

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by TheMusicMan, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Masters of Space and Time set as test for 2009 All England Masters

Philip Biggs and Richard Franklin are delighted to announce that plans are now well advanced for the 2009 All England Masters International Championship, which will take place at the Corn Exchange, Cambridge on Sunday 24th May 2009

The 2009 Championship marks the 21st anniversary of the All England Masters and to mark this special occasion Philip and Richard have selected as the test-piece Masters of Space and Time by Emmy Award-winning TV and film composer Bruce Broughton.

Commenting from Los Angeles, Bruce Broughton said: “I am genuinely thrilled to find that my Masters of Space and Time has been chosen as the 2009 All England Masters International Championship test piece. Having spent a career primarily in film music, it’s a special pleasure to be able to have a piece with no visual image to distract performed by such excellent musicians in such circumstances. British banding has always been the apex of brass performance for me since I was a boy; it’s quite exciting to think of hearing a piece of mine played at that level. Besides which, I like Masters and look forward to hearing it played really well next year.”

Masters of Space and Time was a joint commission by the North American Brass Band Association and The British Open Championship and was the NABBA test-piece in 2001.

News of the competing bands will be announced shortly and to book tickets for the Championship please call +44 (0) 1223 234090.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bruce Broughton.
    All England Masters International Championship
    Championship
    Masters of Space and Time
    All England Masters (B)Masters of Space and Time
  3. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Interesting, does anyone know it?
    Is this the earliest in advance a test piece has been announced?

4. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

No, Harrison's Dream was announced for next year's Butlins before this year's contest had taken place.

5. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Very good news. Criminal that a piece by a guy of his standing (he is a big Hollywood composer) has been pretty much cast aside by the powers that be, up to now.

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Especially as (afaik) this piece was commissioned with a view to being the Open test piece and then wasn't picked, for some unkown reason. Might have to make the lengthy trip to Cambridge next year......

7. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

I'm sure it was commissioned for the open some time ago..but it wasnt finished for some reason or was it to long??? cant remember :)

8. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I Played it with NYBBGB on easter 07. It's awesome in my opinion. Never really defines in sections. I would compare it to a more lively and nice to play version of Cloudcatcher Fells. I'm sure other members of NYBB will think the same. I feel though some may like it some might not.

You need crotales for it. Can't remember if we recorded it on the CD.

Brilliant piece. Good choice!!

9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I played it at the North American Championships back in 2001. I remember it being difficult and not making sense at the time. I would love to have another crack at it now that I've more playing experience.

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

:confused:

Don't know the piece at all - is there a recording of it?

11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Can't imagine too many bands have got a set lying around, they're flippin' expensive.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bruce Broughton.
    All England Masters International Championship
    Championship
    Masters of Space and Time
    All England Masters (B)Masters of Space and Time
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Weren't crotales also required when Albion was set for the National finals?

I'm not aware of a recording being available yet - unless the NYBB did record it. It will be good to hear it, and have a chance to see whether they were right to reject it for the Open. (As I understand it, the piece was finished on time, and length was not the problem, more a question of the style being felt to be a little advanced).

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

The NYBB did record it in April 2007, under Bram Tovey. However the CD has not been released yet... probably to coincide with this announcement?

Personally, it's a phenomenal piece, with quite a cinematographic outlook and very interesting harmonies/textures/timbres, e.g. the crotales being an interesting take on the lowly glockenspiel.

A great piece from a great guy and great composer! :)

15. HUDDSBASSBONE

HUDDSBASSBONE Member

Wonder if they've announced this fantastic piece this early because they have an inkling that some bands may not go back next year...

16. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Perhaps the organisers of the contest could overcome this problem by also announcing the results in advance.

17. If you don't want the cash then its fine by everyone else as 1. its a good tital to have against your band and 2. the prize money is fairly reasonable.

I think this contest is great for british banding

If the new YBS or anyone else for that matter pulled out I don't think it would make any sort of impact

18. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Cheers for clearing that up Ben, i thought it might have been a bit too much with recording Energy as well :rolleyes: .

Cunning link though with piece and contest.

Presenting the one and only
    'CAMBRIDGE INTERNATIONAL MASTERS OF SPACE AND TIME'

Touche :p

The CD's are available in summer apparently :-? .

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  19. zak

zak Member

I'm not stating for one moment that anyone has pulled out but are you serious in saying that if YBS or anyone else pulled out it would not make a diference???

Answer is.... ofcourse it would!!!! People go to listen to the so called named bands as right or wrong as it may seem, and I suspect that seats filled does the talking. Don't be so niaive/inexperienced with your sweeping statement! ;)

I know it's your local big contest but get real please!!!! :-?

Regards

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The winning performance by Illinois Brass Band at the 2001 North American Championships was put on CD at that time, but copies have been scarce to get a hold of. I failed in my attempts to get one!

21. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I know it-have played it with the NYBBGB.
    It's an amazing piece.
    We were told the story behind it (but my memory hasn't done me many favours!)-it was written to be used for the Masters a few years ago I believe, then didn't get picked for some reason.
    Whatever, it will no doubt be a test for the bands-I seem to remember a tricky flugel part.....

22. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

It was also pulled from the RNCM Festival in January. I think it was Fodens who were programmed to play it, but it was replaced. Pity.

Good to hear it involves crotales. I like the cheesy ones myself, preferably with cream of tomato.