Masters Champions Relegated

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Wintruder, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

Thought I'd post for the first time by asking the banding community what their opinions were regarding Leyland's relegation from The Open. Any thoughts anybody?
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hard to believe, but it is a clear cut system and someone has to go down to make way for the bands coming up throught he grand shield.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

its a poor system really..
    leyland, travelsphere and us went down.
    It seems a bit silly that both leyland and us got mid-table rankings over the last two years (leyland 11th + 14th, besses 13th + 12th) beating approx 6 or 7 bands each time.. and still go down!
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

the bands that have been relegated can be back again next year, through the grabd shield, So the relegation might not last for a year!! Strange!!
  5. Heather

Heather Member

Why should there be any outcry just because its well known name bands?
    It just proves that there are many Bands now coming up to the same sort of standard and its not just the 'elite' who are on top all the time.
    If the system's fair (as it sems to be) to all Bands then there can be no complaints.
    I'm sure their stay in the Grand Shield will be a short one but well done to the 'lesser' Bands who have stayed up there!!!
  6. Accidental

Well said Heather!
    Its no different from the area grading system, and nobody ever thought it wasn't fair until it was bands with famous names being affected. The whole point of the Open is to field the best bands, and the wannabes have a chance to prove they're among the best at the Grand Shield
  7. jimortality

jimortality Member

My personal thinking is that it should be three bands should go up from the Grand Shield and the bottom three from the open to come down. Why do bands get two years grace when they get promoted to the open. Football teams don't get two years grace when they get promoted to the Premiership, if you're not good enough to stay up whatever the band, you come straight back down. Simple really!!!!

Jim Baritone Ransome Band
  8. NAS

NAS Member

I couldnt agree more Jim. I think that each year the lowest placed bands should be put to the grand shield. Before anyone says "but you are a member of Leyland Band so you would say that"... let me just say that personally it doesnt bother me whether im playing in the Grand Shield or the Open. The bands relegated knew how it was worked before this years Open and I dont know how the other bands have took the news but Im glad to say that Leyland have accepted it and have agreed that we cant complain etc... all we can do is go to the Grand Shield and contest. :)

One thing that has dissapointed me recently is that I helped a Yorkshire Band out on a long distance job and they said they were "over the moon" that Leyland were relegated (before the official verdict). I really hope that all banding isnt like this... if it is im in it for the wrong reasons... :? :(

Neil Samuel
    Leyland Band

PS 4barsrest have confirmed that 3 bands will go up from the Grand Shield.
  9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Given the choice of winning the Masters then dropping out the open or not winning the masters and not dropping out the open I know which most people would pick. Especially since you can qualify from the grand shield and not miss an Open. Leyland are one of the few bands to have come up from the grand shield and have consistant success there. Funnily enough we have been relegated by a similar system to the one we won the masters on. There, no judges had us first and yet we won. Here, in the two years we were not in the bottom four yet go down. I accept both as fair because thats the way the system works. Can't pick and choose when you agree with it!
  10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

well I dissagreed both times ;)
  11. Accidental

Everyone's being very polite here and talking about the system, but who can put their hands on their hearts and say they think Besses and Leyland were good enough to stay up? Remember, the Open is supposed to be the best of the best.
    Sorry Aidan, but I heard Besses at the Open and in concert last week, and you're just not in the same league at the moment. If you think you are then you can win the Grand Shield and get back into the Open next year, and prove me wrong. Sorry.
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

well.. me.. for both.
    I've played with the band twice at the open, and we have not come in the bottom five bands either time. Yet there are bands who can go up and down every two years, including a band that has come last at the open for the last two times they were in it.. yet still get to come back when us and leyland are relagated.. this is what I think isnt fair..
    Unfortunately I wont be with Besses when they play the grand shield, but I'm sure they'll do a damn good job of it whatever happens.
  13. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Just like West Ham though, they'll be back!!
  14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'd hope that not all bands think like that. For 99.9% of us, this is not our profession (although sometimes it does feel like it), and I'd still like to believe that most bandsmen don't take delight in a band getting relegated. For one, if it's not my band, I'm just relieved!

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I think the regulation system is a bit weird, but hey...
    I agree that the bottom bands should be regulated...

However, whats done is done... :roll:
  16. sober_phil

sober_phil Member

Football teams have dozens of games in a season for any unusual results to even themselves out, if they have a bad day one week, they only have to wait till the following saturday to redeem themselves.

What annoys me about banding is that so much (eg. championship vs 1st section, Open vs G shield), can be decided on one or two performances.

At the same time though, I appreciate that there has to be a relatively quick way for bands to achieve promotion otherwise they will lose interest, and indeed players, as their own players rather than earning sucess with their own band will be tempted away into higher ranked bands in order to compete in the top contests. Something I personally disagree with quite strongly.
  17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

And I suppose we were crap too? :D I don't think we had a very good day on the planets, and so I think relegation was deserved. I doubt we will be in the Grand Shield long anyway.
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Going down to the Senior Cup, then :?: :wink: :lol:
  19. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Looking at this from a different point of view, the Grand Shield will be one hell of a contest in 2004. Hopefully, the paying public will agree and give everybody great support. Having said that, there was a good audience at the Shield this year, (and the Cup and Trophy seemes fairly full as well from what I remember.

I think that the bands that tend to get e.g. 7th to 15th at the Open are always going to be in difficult water. The standard at the top of the Grand Shield is as good as a great deal of the bands in the Open. However, there are those bands which are perhaps in a higher echelon as YBS proved.

Somebody (3 bands) has to go down, but then again somebody (also 3 bands!) has to go up.

I'm looking forward to it.

20. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I hope that all three bands bounce back up quickly to the Open (especially Leyland!!!). But:

1) The rules have to be applied fairly and there can be no discrimination in favour of big name bands. I'm sure that they'd all agree, bands should only be in the Open on merit and in accordance with the rules.

2) The relegation of these three bands offers a fantastic opportunity for three others. There is tremendous competition at the top of the Grand Shield and its only right that these bands get a chance. Too many bands in the Open would be a bad thing.

3) We're going to have a great contest in Blackpool next May. There's no shame in being a 'Grand Shield' band.

4) I'd be very interested to hear a 'play off' between the three bands going up and the three coming down to decide the three Open places!!!