Masters 2011

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by baridis, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Virtuosi GUS 2nd place!!! Well done boys and girls and well done John B!! :clap:

2. BlowRob

BlowRob New Member

And thus descendeths yet another thread into false usernames hiding behind a tMp account to have a pop at Nick Childs and Black Dyke. Phenomenal rate of reaction really to a contest neither party was even involved in. The interest for me is Hepworth - i wasn't there - only outsider's view. Their new resident MD's first contest with the band 15th, Russel Gray at the area 2nd - beating Grimethorpe and Dyke to London qualification, and finishing above Carlton Main and Rothwell. Surely within 3 months the band can't have changed so significantly to lose so much ground. Or was the area result purely down to an MD? Is band contesting becoming a contest of best conductor/interpretation? I thought contesting was about the best bands?

3. BlowRob

BlowRob New Member

On another note, good to see a band such as Marsden racking up the silverware, 2 cups in as many weeks, keep it up!

4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I say this with no disrespect to the competitors but it's hardly what you would call a major contest these days.

5. Ginge

Ginge Member

You seem to be suggesting Tredegar aren't a top band... seriously???

6. tubalation

tubalation Member

It already has been - after the furore when Cory were first invited some time ago it bacame the All England Masters International Brass Band Championship' - and all the better for it, without the addition of the continental (and American) bands it runs the risk of becoming a rerun of the Grand Shield.

Miek Allcock
    Newsted Brass [writing in a personal capacity :)]

7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

How much better than British Open Champion does a band have to be for you to consider them top?!!

Big congrats to Tred and GUS and the other prize winners today. And huge thanks to HBB for slumming it with Friary today before disappearing across the pond! :clap:

8. Pav

Pav Member

Way, way too much variance in banding to jump to conclusions like that. I'm guessing they've got bigger fish to fry later on in the year (English Nats, Open, Nats).

9. Pav

Pav Member

Or, it could have Renained as the All England Masters and been the English qualification for Europe instead of creating another contest that runs a month later.

When that didn't happen and the top English bands stopped going it was maybe time to call it a day.

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Pleasure was all mine! :) Thanks for making me feel welcome Alex!

11. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

Tredear Town Band not a top band? phahaha! You're having a laugh - after today's win they are now 2nd at the 4br/British Bandsman World Rankings! Nice to see Wales with the best and second best band in the world! :clap:

12. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

And people forget that Brass Bands were invented in South Wales (not up North).

Banding's coming home . . . .

13. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

I think "Foxy bingo" was talking about tred as individuals, rather than a band when she made her post. A case of the sum being greater than the parts? All praise to band and MD - who is clearly going places. Hepworth seem to have had a blip, as do the L&SC pretenders. TBH some of the better bands here are on a hiding to nothing with the costs of participation and the weaker field the "masters" now attracts.

14. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Let's have some perspective please. Tredegar is a very good band that got lucky at The Open. I heard every band that day and agreed with 4BR in having them around 7/8th -their result at RAH was a truer reflection of their performance standard.
    I managed to wangle a last-minute trip to Kettering yesterday (worst venue ever?) and I heard every band. Tredegar were a country mile ahead of GUS but Tred's strength yesterday lay in its ensemble playing rather than its soloists. The solo trombone did a great job on the bass trombone solo though.

15. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Well lets all thank god you were there at the Open last year to agree with 4BR. Congrats.

As for yesterday yes Tredegar were very good but you'ld have to ask the adjudicators if they were a country mile ahead of GUS. Tredegar are a first class band no doubt - glad you managed to wangle a trip to the worst venue ever all the way from Wales.......

16. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

I have been to Ebbw Vale .....................

Jeremy

17. 2nd trom virtuoso

2nd trom virtuoso Member

Well done to GUS (my more local top band) on 2nd place. And congrats to the dominant force that are Tredegar.

Despite some comments being said about the standard of band's at the masters I don't think it can by any means be called an easy contest, every band in that line up is capable of being decent on the day. If these other 'top' bands don't want to claim the prize money it's up to them! They are missing out. In my opinion the masters is still a very nice title to claim.

18. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Is there a Band anywhere on this planet who has never cross fertilised parts to not only enhance a performance, but at times, to manage to get through a performance?
    The fact that this has been done openly is causing such a dash to the moral high ground i think.
    Is it the same for adjudicators? to, judge against the score whether its the individuals "preferred" tempi, style, etc or not, is that not "cheating" in itself or abdication? answers on a post card.

19. BikeBadger

BikeBadger Member

Ever been to Tredegar Leisure Centre? A trip to Hell :)
    I didn't mean to insult any locals with my reference to yesterday's venue - it just compares very badly with Cambridge. The place and its environs were sterile - eastern bloc, almost.
    I'm sure Kettering is beautiful - just didn't get to see any of it.

20. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

Totally disagree with you - and third place at the Europeans dosen't reflect their performance standard either does it? Many people that I knew at the British Open tipped Tredegar as the winners as well as 4br quoting in their retros 'and many an experienced observer took the time before the announcement of the results to tell 4BR that the Welsh band was their tip for victory'. Like it or not, Tredegar now is a top band with top players, with flawless ensemble playing, fantastic soloists and a great conductor that gives time and space to music. Anyway, that's a bit off topic, Llongyfarchiadau Tredegar a GUS! :tongue:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice