Masterclasses In Our Own Home ...

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by brassneck, Feb 3, 2007.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

One aspect of learning music I was always taught was to listen to and appreciate other players' performances. With the growth of YouTube, we now have the capability of watching former legends as well as hearing them. Have you found any clips that you have benefited from seeing? I will kick off with this Maurice Andre video as it demonstrates role-playing in small chamber settings.

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Oh yes indeedy... check out 2:51 onwards... phew!

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's another clip with a jawdropping line-up of trumpet players involving Jon Faddis, Roy Hargrove, Randy Brecker, Lew Soloff, Terence Blanchard and Terell Stafford at the Trumpet Summit in 2004.

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Can't do the posh stuff, but this is a great vid of Arturo Sandoval, Randy Brecker, Byron Stripling and Chuck Findley battling on Cherokee with the GRP all star Big Band.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Andy, you can gat the youtube video directly on tMP by putting the youtube reference nummer (the part of the link after the "="sign) between [ youtube ] and [ /youtube ] (without the spaces)

This time, I've done it for you ;)
  7. andreab

andreab Member

These are great, from what I'd previously seen of Youtube I thought it was just people's videos that weren't good enough for You've Been Framed'!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Andy, thanks for the Dave Weckl (it's been a while since I have heard him) ... here's the band I first got to know him with ... Chick Corea's Elektric Band (and one of the last great fusion bands of it's era).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's an American ensemble that must have taken a leaf out of Polysteel's book ... ;)

... and I still have great memories of this being on the telly ...

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- and talking of Chuck Findley (who was in Jerry Hey's horn section remember), check out this quick clip ...

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Anybody remember this news clip?

and here's the released single with the KLF ('What Time Is Love' Millenium mix)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I always wondered how Pat Metheny would manage to put this track from Secret Stories live on stage ... he's convinced me (and it's one of my favourite Metheny tracks as well ... enjoy!). This is an arranging/composition masterclass in my humble opinion.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  13. Jan H

great music... but what are they wearing :eek::eek: ;)
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a clip with a jazz euphonium solo being featured! (... if you are interested the players are Dave Bargeron (euph) and Michel Godard (tuba))

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The distinguished Triton Trombone Quartet playing Derek Bourgeois' Trombone Quartet, Op. 117

1st mvt. Allegro vivace

2nd/3rd mvts. Adagio molto/Presto
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here is a useful video from one of the most progressive brass quintets I've heard in recent years ... Rhythm & Brass

- Rex Richardson, one of trumpetmike's buddies, has uploaded some of his own stuff here.
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

and here's part of an instructional video from reputably one of the greatest trumpet players ever ... Rafael Mendez (film clips are over 50 years old).

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

And another gem from the archives ... Harry James and his Concerto For Trumpet.

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This one's for Dyl as he likes this caprice so much ...

... and the dulcet tones demonstrated in this Bach video

... not forgetting the versality of brass performance

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  20. Jan H

Sergei Nakariakov at a very young age, showing how to play without facial expressions whatsoever:
    Follow the link for some more Youtube movies from him:

for example, what about this one:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007