Massed bands concert in Dereham

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by sop with altitude, Sep 4, 2009.

1. On Saturday 12th. Septmber 2009 Dereham band will be host to a special massed bands concert. Dereham will be joined on stage by Aylsham band and the Cromer and Sherringham band for a special concert ot celebrate the close ties between these three bands.
    The first massed bands concert was held in Aylsham last year to celebrate their 80th birthday, it was such a sucess that we decided to repeat it this year
    This year music will include some last night of the proms stuff and a BRAND NEW composition from Leigh Baker written for Dereham band called Dereham Divertimento.(see thread Dereham Divertimento for more info)
    The concert is at Northgate High School, Northgate Dereham, Norfolk
    Baton down at 7:30pm.
    Entrance is free but there will be a retiring collection.

2. This answers a question I had. Do bands over there ever double up to expanded instrumentation?

3. Hi william,

We will be sitting on stage with a combined band of about 60. Had the first joint rehearsal on Sunday and it went realy well.
    The bands provide as many of their players as are free. We have lots of solo and low cornets, 3 reps and 3 flugels but I'm a bit out numbered being the only Sop! Still I seem to be able to make myself heard.
    Do you play in joint concerts over there?

4. Unfortunately brass bands as you have them are not common over here. We have a number of community wind bands that are many times hit and miss as far as instrumentation is concerned. Combining the wind band s happens in larger communities, but where I am is fairly isolated, so it hasn't happened. The Independent Silver Band is a professional group so we don't combine other than occasionally with a chorus for Christmas.

5. Martin

Martin Member

To all at Dereham

Good luck for the concert and sorry to hear of your sad loss. Look forward to hearing a recording of Dereham Divertimento.:clap:

6. Hello Martin
    Nice to hear from you and thanks for your best wishes. I will pass them on the rest of the bands.
    Dereham Divertimento won't be available for a year yet, but we hope to get a top name to record it for us. I'll let you know when we do.
    Karen

7. Just to let you all know this concert went down a storm, we had the best audience for ages. Thanks to Leigh Baker for his fantastic music writing, Dereham Divertimento was fantastic. The families and the band were blown away by it.
    Can't wait to play it again.

8. Martin

Martin Member

Really pleased it went well, Karen.:clap: Would have liked to have been there, but was previously engaged before I heard about the concert. Please pass on my regards to the band.