Massed Band Item - what piece would you like to play?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Graham from Jolly Holly, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Hollingworth Band are currently organising a reunion to celebrate their 150th anniversary (see posting under The Auditorium section). We will probably end the evening with a piece played by as many of the former players we can get on the stand. If you were lucky enough to be in this band, what piece would you like to play :?:

2. Light as Air and Floral Dance are classics. You get tired of them, but almost anyone can play those pieces

3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

in true CiN style... The Floral Dance

however, given the occasion, I suppose the ideal piece would be a local tune, or the band's "signature" march over as much of the 150 years as possible..

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

The Young Amadeus works pretty well for massed band as I remember...

5. shedophone

shedophone Member

Something huge and fun like Carnival de Paris!

6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

id go for somthing big too, somthing with a huge ending.

hows about Procession To The Minster, a brilliant piece played with a single band but a massed band really brings it out

7. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Reunion and finale!

It's got a really nice opening and it just becomes more and more powerfull all of the way through!!! It's brill!

8. Di

Di Active Member

Very appropriate given the occasion! :D

I'll second what she says, very moving and powerful and a great addition to any programme.

9. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Great Gate of Kiev arr. Howarth.....great finisher for a massed band....sends 'em home with their ears buzzin'

Sud.

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Procession to the Minster is not the best for massed bands, usually ends up being overblown and rancid. However The Padstow Lifeboat is class, and everyone gets a chance to raught away and it's meant to sound rancid.

Yes, I am sick!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Item
    many
    band
    Hollingworth Band
    piece
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

finale to thaikovsky 6...

13. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Pines Of Rome works quite well...

14. andyp

andyp Active Member

Any of these?

Baba Yaga/Great Gate of Kiev
    Pines of Rome
    Finale from Sant Saens Organ Symphony
    Suite Gothique (esp movts 3+4)
    Finlandia
    Finale from Tchaikovsky 2, or 4.
    Olympic Fanfare (with cornets+troms stood out front. NB audience may require ear-plugs :twisted: !)
    Intro Act 3 Lohengrin.
    The Lost Chord - in fact most special hymn tune arrangements.
    Procession to the Minster (but don't overblow!)
    Finale from Dvorak's New World Symphony.
    1812 Overture
    Marche Slave
    Overture to "Henry V"
    Pastime with Good Company
    The Gael

If you have a church organ or similar where you're doing the concert (and someone who can play it, of course) it can add even more to a lot of these pieces. We've done it in the past and it went down a storm. It also gives the basses a big help in the loud bits!

15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Prague...........Can you imagine it!!!!!

16. lucretia

lucretia Member

Sick puppy... :shock:

17. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

A big End !!!

I'd agree with Great Gate of Kiev, Pine of Rome, Finale Tchaikovsky 5 but an unusual ending piece would be the Finale from Firebird ?!? Or perhaps the John Adams piece Short Ride in a fast machine newly arranged by Ray Farr (I think it was played by Ever Ready at Spennymoor ?

18. Thanks for your postings - any more takers???

19. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I assume most probably you mean the 3rd movement (March) rather than the Finale (Adagio)?

My experience with massed bands was mostly with three 4th section bands back in the early '80's; they always suffered from the apparent belief that, because there were three times as many players, that meant they could play pieces that were three times as difficult as their normal repertoire.

In practice what was really necessary were pieces that were three times easier..........

Regards,

Gareth.

20. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

2 I'd reccomend in massed bands is Procession to the Minster (which has already been suggested but I think it sounds amazing, plus I did the flugel solo in it as well in a massed band years and was dead chuffed!).

Also, Jurassic Park (well really any John Williams type of piece like ET or Harry Potter), the scoring really gives depth for numerous players per part and the grandioso parts are just eardrum-shatteringly breathtaking!

21. Razor

Razor Member

My choices would be along the lines of -

Procession to the Minster,
    Tchaikovsky 4,
    The Lost Chord,
    Finale from Organ Symphony

From the SA repertoire I'd go for The Kingdom Triumphant, Procession to Covenant(Bill Himes) or My Comfort and Strength(Brian Bowen).

I think any of these pieces would provide that special spine tingling experience for players and listeners alike.

Ray Collins

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Item
    many
    band
    Hollingworth Band
    piece