Mask of Zorro

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by AmandaD, Oct 15, 2007.

1. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

I have recently moved from tenor to bass trombone at band and at the weekend we started looking at The Mask of Zorro. I was handed both the bass trombone part and the Bb bass trombone part.

The bass trom part starts in the key of Eb (three flats), with the other Bb instruments in F (one flat, as I would expect), but the Bb bass trom part starts in G.

The question is 'am I missing something ?' or should the Bb bas trom part also be in F ?

2. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Hello Amanda,
    I'm assuming you are playing my arrangement of "Mask of Zorro" published by Obrasso ?

You are right to think that any bass trombone part transposed to be playable by a tenor trombone reading treble clef should indeed be in the same key as the original two tenor trombone parts.

I've just checked my original Sibelius files which I supplied to Obrasso and both the score and parts are correct BUT....

I only supplied parts for the standard brass band.

If there are extra parts supplied with the set - such as F horn instead of Eb / bass clef bass parts or a Bb pitched bass trombone part then these have been transposed from my standard set of parts by the publishers themselves.

Hope this helps.
  3. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

yes it's your arrangement, and it appears the publishers have made a mistake with it.

Thanks for your help, at least I know (I think) what I'm doing

4. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

No problem.

Hope you enjoy playing it !
  5. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

Yes, it's great, now I've sorted the accidentals which aren't !

6. I bought a set some weeks ago, and there was a C basstrombone and a Bb treble cleff basstrombone included!
  7. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

The Bb treble part is in the wrong key and has all the wrong notes in !

The bass clef part is correct