Mary Poppins

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Jul 12, 2005.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Whilst rehearsing this piece, someone spotted an unfamiliar symbol on the solo cornet/conductor's part,and asked what it meant.

There followed the usual debate with everyone making suggestions as to what it might be....

Any tMPers know what it is to settle the argument?

The symbol is at "L" plus 5 bars, and looks like the tail of a demi semi-quaver (16th), and I personally think that it is a conductor's cue that the following notes are demi semi-quavers - which begs the question why the cornets would never spot them and need a cue!

Perhaps it is a worm from the can that I have just opened!

AlanL58

2. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

No way! We're playing that one this time as well. 'It's a small world after all...' :D :D :D

3. Jonno

Jonno Member

Which version of Mary Poppins are you rehearsing ? We are doing the Andy Duncan one and I cannot see the sybol you are referring to.

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

As the initial thread refers to "solo cornet/conductor's part" presumably this is the older version which I think is Denis Wright arrangement. Will have a look at our copy Wednesday night unless someone posts sooner.

5. persins

persins Member

We have played it recently but I never noticed a strange symbol!! That doesn't really surprise me though as I very rarely take notice of much on the parts; key signatures, time signatures, rests, notes.

Ohh well, it's only a guide afterall!!

I ill look though out of pure curiosity.

6. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Yes, it is the Denis Wright arrangement, sorry I didn't realise that there might be more than one arrangement...

Alanl58