Marketing & Publicity!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Feb 18, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It has been suggested that brass bands should appropriately market and publicise themselves to maximise audience potential.

If your band suddenly got an invite to play at a major rock/pop festival (e.g., Glastonbury or 'T' In The Park), what programme would you choose to promote brass bands and how would you market it in such an environment that already includes diverse styles and performers?

2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Cheesy, uplifting or powerful music, the kind of music that tMP band played at pontins, those pieces that really got the crowd going, the kind of pieces where you get the crowds whooping and cheering about 3 bars before the end. Entertainment has to prevail I think.

But...my main selling point would be that the band would be formed from good looking male and female banders looking sexy ~ Everybody knows that sex sells!
    The other banders involved in the concert but who were not sexy enough could just got to the beer tent earlier...everyone's a winner :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a big difference between the tMPer's band playing at Pontins, which is primarily a brass band audience and is self-promoting courtesy of the site's popularity, and a major festival attracting headline groups and thousands of people who are interested in experiencing the occasion, taking in alternative forms of music making and related leisure activities! Could your band persuade a few hundred not to go and watch The Chemical Brothers and take in what you want to offer and sell to them? You will get people out of sheer curiosity that will stop and listen for a short while but can you command their attention to keep them there? (... how many at Xmas time actually stay for the whole duration of carol-playing or festive numbers?). Would you band use gimmicks to visually enhance the performance to provide more than just music? (e.g., would Stavanger's stage show work? A lot of their music now bridges what was seen in the jazz/fusion artists' shows in festivals over the last 10-20 years).

4. postie

postie Member

I think a brass band being invited to go to Glastonbury lets say would be a fantastic idea. Michael Eavis last year invited the English National Opera along, so inviting a brass band wouldn't be that much out of place. The band would need to play a very popular programme stuff that people know. I would certainly think that with Glastonbury if it was suggested they would certainly be an invitation for someone to go along.

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

Probably getting rather late to book yourself in to 2005 - and there's not going to be a Glastonbury 2006 (a "fallow" year).

I've played in a band at an arts festival with about 22000 people there (Greenbelt) and we got a good reception. Can't remember what we played: we were a scratch band...

Neil.

6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I seem to remember a that a brass band did play at Glastonbury one year. Although I can't remember who it was and, as I wasn't there myself I don't know what they played...

Sorry for the utter uselessness of this post....:oops: :rolleyes:

7. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Dosent a Yeovil based band play on the Sunday morning at Glastonbury? I always thought it was a regular thing.

8. Owen S

Owen S Member

I got the impression that Yeovil always open the Sunday morning on the Main stage or Second stage and that they're always deliberately billed as "Glastonbury Town Band" by the organisers to emphasise the local connection. That said, I haven't been for about four years, and it may have changed.

The audience looks tiny, but it's probably over 200 people dotted around an area that can hold tens of thousands for the headliners in the evening. On top of that, there's a lot of festival-goers waking up to sunshine on their tent and the strains of the band.

Glastonbury is a bit different to any other festival though, since it's so big and since it's an arts festival dominated by modern music, rather than just being a rock festival.

9. postie

postie Member

We were talking about this last night perhaps they should invite someone like Flowers they would put a show and a half on

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've done a wee bit of googling regarding Glastonbury and brass bands. Looks like they (Glastonbury Town Band) wake up most of the revellers on Sunday Morning to their glorious band call!

http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=29941

http://www.colourcountry.net/Glastonbury%202002%20Festival

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/glastonbury2002/questionnaire_robdabank.shtml

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/performance/index.asp?id=60

http://www.nme.com/reviews/11338.htm

:confused: ... strange though! I can't remember them from my visits there during the mid to late '70s (mind U, not many people can remember much about anything during those Flying Teapot daze! .... if you know the band Gong, you'll know what I'm on about!)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    T' In The Park
    Glastonbury
    brass bands
    pop festival
    diverse styles