Marching with a Wagner tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Salisburycityband, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Could someone offer advice on what would be the best lyre and strap for a left-handed Wagner tuba please? I have tried a euphonium strap and have a removable holder for a lyre but the instrument was unstable when I was playing and the music wobbled too much for me to be able to read it. I am very new to brass but experienced on woodwind and was amazed at how difficult it was. I sounded dreadful!

Your advice would be much appreciated.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wagner
    someone
    strap
    lyre
    tuba
  3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

most lyres move when Marching. I used to put my thumb in the gap between instument and lyre to keep it still. meant I could only use 3 valves but on a march it wouldn't be that noticable. These days I prefer to march with a Sousaphone if I can get away with it , much easier to handle. As for sound on a march. the more you do the better it gets, like all playing it takes practice to get right.

4. I use a harness as it distributes the weight better and is less strain on my shoulders and back. It came with options for left or right hand fixing, (purchased from Trevada music) I don't bother with a lyre its easier just to hold the music.