Marching Valve Trombone (Flugabone)

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by JDH, Jun 20, 2013.

1. JDH

JDH Member

The perfect instrument for baritone, or euphonium players to cover trombone parts! Although may look rather like a large cornet, this really does have a trombone like tone.

2. Why is this not in the classified advert section? Has tmp become a personal advertising tool for Wessex Tubas?
  3. BrianT

BrianT Member

Physics says that non-compensating valves on a pipe that long is going to cause tuning problems...
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

No worse than on a 3V cornet. It's the relative proportions that count, not the overall length. And sometimes manufacturers can find a way to acoustically encourage the bad notes into tune - I used to have access to a non-compensating 3V Lidl bass trumpet that was surprisingly in tune on low C# on 1+2+3, and tenor horns often do surprisingly well on tuning in the same register.
  5. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Experience says that tuning problems can be caused by players of all sorts of length pipe - compensated or otherwise....
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

but common sense say's it has to be better than a proper trombononium ! :p
  7. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

American marching bands used to use forward-facing baritones; isn't that basically what this is?

The cut-and-shunt name 'Flugabone' (combining German and Italian with a dash of mis-spelling) implies that, if it purports to be a big flugelhorn, the instrument has a conical bore.

Trombones by definition have a parallel bore, which is in part what lends them their distinctive timbre, brighter than any other instrument in the band. A tightly-wrapped parallel bore on an instrument this size would offer a lot of resistance (a problem overcome with true valve trombones by retaining the overall shape of the slide instrument, keeping the wrap fairly open as a result).

On another practical note, holding an instrument of this size, and weight (with valves etc. it's likely to way considerably more than a trombone) out in front of you is going to be considerably more tiring than holding a normal trombone or baritone, so what's the purpose of this besides being another novelty instrument?
  8. JDH

JDH Member

Thanks for your comments Jack. This is not a marching baritone, that is a different instrument with different internal profile. I would put it nearer to a bass trumpet, except for the bell. Looking at the profile throughout the bugle, this is parallel and trombone like, only expanding on last loop and with bell very much same profile as tenor trombone. I don't know the origin of the name - it is not at all flugel like apart from in size.

I find it blows surprisingly well and do not find it offers much more resistance than a regular trombone. Weighing only 1.8kg, it is not too heavy to hold out front, particularly as it is fairly short.

You really need to try to see if you find a useful instrument, or just a novelty