Marching strap - my shoulder deserves a reliable blood supply

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dbate, May 2, 2011.

1. dbate

dbate New Member

Hi all,
    Today I marched with my Bb bass from one end of a high street to another. And as usual, by the end, my shoulder felt as if it was going to fall off. After twenty years of playing, it's always the same. Surely someone must have come up with a better solution over the past century. There must be something that can distribute the weight of the instrument in a better way, rather than putting the whole lot on one long-suffering shoulder. Has anyone come across something more sensible? This must have come up before.
    Cheers
    Dave

2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Dave theres a couple of previous threads detailing neoprene full body harnesses

just search "strap-ons" or something similar

3. awalker

awalker Member

Try www.daveballard.co.uk. I purchased a euphonium strap from him a couple of years ago as I damaged my back in a cycling accident.

4. boslmjan

boslmjan New Member

I bought a neoprene and no matter what I do I cannot get it to hold and e or b flat close enough to me. I haven't used it as I really don't want to be taking the weight of a bass on my left arm to hold it in to place.

I may have not managed to get the position right but I found it to be of well no use.....

5. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

I always found having a bad back was a solution for not having a bad shoulder on a march. Actually saves not having to march

6. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Cue the jokes about the 'strap on' at rehearsal on Wednesday.............

7. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

Last year, when my son was 10 and he did the whit walks with his snare drum and was having problems with the strap digging in the bone on his shoulder, the e flat bass's father gave me a solution.

He had a piece of something called Vetbed (don't laugh). it is kind of sheepskin one side and quite a thick hard plastic the other side (but it will bend). he got it from the petshop but i think he ordered it (here in uppermill). anyway, he had only used half so gave me the other half. so basically, you roll it into a loop and secure it by glueing or sewing. the hard side is inside and the sheepskin side goes outside against your uniform. it really helps.

i have posted a link to a pic on facebook, which is the closest pic of it i can get. hope it works.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=110547715660773&set=t.100000066558207&type=1&theater

8. bumper-euph

bumper-euph Member

Cornet...............:biggrin:

9. Big - C

Big - C New Member

I just searched for strap ons on google but it didn't come up with any marching straps?

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Dave you can get seatbelt cushions from Halfords - come in pairs and velcro over a standard strap - spreads some of the pressure.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bb
    end
    better solution
    long-suffering shoulder
    better way
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's plenty harnesses available ... ;)

13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

buy a Sousaphone for marching

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As a bit of an aside, I found out today that the Guards - and I presume this applies to all forces personnel - are forbidden to take BBb basses on parade on H&S grounds - EEbs only :eek:

15. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

About time someone realised the damage carrying these monsters on the march can do!

16. Despot

Despot Member

Thomann sell an own brand one with a soft white underpart, that doesn't cut like a plain strap.

They also sell a type with some sort of aircell padding.

But I've often thought though that carrige rings on a BBb was someone's idea of a joke, but nobody got the punchline!

17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Years ago, when I started marching again after a neck operation, I bought a goatskin strap. It is extremely comfortable and the only downside is I bought one with buckles instead of snaps, which can be a real pain to fasten. I'll see if I can remember where I bought it - may have been Dave Ballard.