Marching - in the rain

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnmartin, Jul 6, 2004.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Well we've just completed our summer season of gala day marches. This year was a complete washout. Four out of five marches we were rained on and at least three of them it was a torrential downpour. This is the last year I am going to have to suffer this so I was wondering if anyone out could give me the names of suppliers of waterproof jackets or rain capes. The rain capes that pipe bands wear look very good but would they work for a brass band?

As a little aside, I reckon I should have been paid danger money for marching down the street carrying a tuba and with a lightning storm overhead. In retrospect that was probably not a good idea. :roll:
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

all you need is a few more tmpers in your band... our playing is clinically proven to keep rain at bay until at least the final note...
  3. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Try traditional sewing

we bought some weatherproof jackets this spring and have been extremely grateful for them. price was reasonable quality and service excellent. owners are brass banders so know what is required.
  4. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

We had a set done at Newtongrange last year. I think Alan McLaren sorted them out for us - maybe an idea to drop him a line and find out where he got them done. They do the job although it can get a bit hot! Typically the one gala gig we did this year (Loanhead) when it rained - we weren't wearing them!
  5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Try this company
    Crest Identity Ltd
    Stockton Rd
    Hartlepool Cleveland
    TS25 1RW

Tel: 01429 233533

They have an excellent range of coats, blazers, ties ect. Their work is good and their customer service cannot be beaten. When we wanted a set of stand banners although it wasn't something they'd been asked for in the past they went out of their way to help us and their price was a lot less than what Handleys had quoted us
  6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Either that or avoid marching jobs like the plague!! :lol:
  7. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I think its all part of banding Laura :(
  8. Kayleigh

Kayleigh Member

Weve got our village carnival to march in in about an hour and the weather isnt looking too great :? We also had to do the Conga on wednesday in the tipping down with rain. :shock:
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

On a related theme - Comic book bags are excellent for keeping the music dry.

They cost about £4 for 50, are acid free and last for ages. Fold the bag over and secure with a peg, and your music will be both dry and visible.

Will (who doesn't march 'cos of very dodgy knees.)
  10. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Even cheaper 300 plasic folder wallets - work a treat for £4
  11. Offbeats

Offbeats Member

Shower caps work well if you want to stop rain from getting on your marching cap or hat...
  12. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I just did the marching at the New Zealand Nationals in Christchurch and we had to dodge ice patches in the road! Bugger the rain!!!!!
  13. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I seem to be able to avoid them though!