Marching...hoe do you do yours?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Jun 6, 2004.

?

Can you march properly?

1. Yes, I could be in the forces

50.0%
  2. No, why do we have a bass drum playing, its putting me off my step!

50.0%
  1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Seeing as Whit Friday has just gone, most of you will have knackered legs from all the marching. But can you march properly, no matter how much I try I can't march left/right stylee or march to the beat of the drum, I tend to just walk and play, although is canny funny sometimes as it turns into strutting :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    :D
    Marching
    march left
    right stylee
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yes I can march fairly well I think, still, that's not really for me to decide is it. Never won any deportment prizes so i could be completely way off base!!

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

The tMP Band is quite capable of marching at Light Infantry speed (and more!!) as was shown at our first contest at Uppermill on Friday when we 'jogged' down the street to Slaidburn at about a crotchet = 160!

:lol:

5. bonehead

bonehead New Member

Can normally manage OK, although I'm quite tall, so if we don't go fast enough I end up mincing down the road in tiny steps :!:

Was weaving from side to side by the end of the night though, can't think why :guiness

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

thunderbirds! Roundthorne... nuff said... if you can march to iaiiaian's arrangements you can march to anything!

7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Due to my size, I tend have a bit of a waddle, but yes I am quite proud of my marching. that, and I have been told I am an asset to any marching band that has trouble getting people to play or play loud.....

I just think I have a knack for rebounding sounds off buildings :wink:

Is it true that Salvo's march at 132+???

8. six pints

six pints Active Member

i cant do left and right, and i cant multitask. so no, not too good at marching!

9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

The only thing I have a lot of toruble dfoing on a march (besides hearing the whistle) is play percussion. For some reason I can't think feet, hands, music, and beat at once.......

........yet I conduct :?:

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

That was just to get away from the horsemuck 8)

Uphill at that pace was quite "interesting"!

Neil.

11. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I was puffed out and I only play sop! Thank god I wasn't playing anything bigger. was interesting dodging the horse muck at that speed whilst trying to read the music at the same time :shock:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Whit
    :D
    Marching
    march left
    right stylee
  13. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

apparently my ahem 'behind' has a real swagger when i march!! :mrgreen: lucky solo cornets eh?

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i really find it dificult to understand that people cant march!
    did a lot of it as a TA bandsman and there were musicians who couldnyt do it there aswell.

surley as long as you start on the correct foot :wink: you should be fine!

15. six pints

six pints Active Member

thats my major problem! hence im not learning to drive either!

16. katej

katej Member

super sop wrote:
    Even when I started on the right (left) foot I still got out of step, my excuse is that I'm small so end up taking 3 steps to everyone elses esp Uppermill!! :lol:

17. Well hop then! :lol:

18. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i'm absolute pants at marching.
    i cant watch where i'm going, stay in step and play the music, a point well illustrated when i walked into a bollard (and out of step) whilst trying to find where we were...... :evil:

19. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Rubbish!!! ... :D

Although my main culprit is of course the old right-left problem ... somehow I always end up like that! :?

Although I was a bit better when I actually concentrated on playing the music! :)

20. I've been marching since I was 14, no problems here

21. stripybananas

stripybananas Member

i can't march to save my life! adopted the walking along playing technique and don't intend on improving it! although last year being stood behind the principal cornet player (don't ask) he was managing to do a full on Mr.Humphries strut!

22. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i'm fine unless there are corners involved... also, I usually have to take very small steps to avoid wandering off ahead of the rest of the band.

Personally I though Uppermill was very interesting! Definitely got us well warmed up for the rest of the day, although I didn't approve of all the horse waste!!