Marching help needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Pythagoras, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

When I march I cant seem to walk normally while playing. I end up stamping with my left foot every time. This enables me to keep in time but gets me tired out (that and the BBFlat bass) and looks like something from the ministry of silly walks. If I try to walk normally I just catch up the people in front. Am OK between pieces, but as soon as we start playing I automatically start stomping again.

Any tips?
  2. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

Put some gravel in your left shoe. That should sort out the habit quickly enough!
  3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Good plan! Might give me enough of an injury to get out of future marches.
  4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Take purposefully small steps? Don't think too much about what you're doing and stand up straight! [​IMG]

No wonder you're having problems ;)

...sez me, possibly the worst marcher ever!!! :biggrin:
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Seeing the photo reminds me of one thing that may make a difference: especially when playing bass, I find it vital to ensure that strap and lyre are properly adjusted, or else you can have all sorts of problems. If you are having to march/walk awkwardly in order to see/play the music, then that is cetainly not going to help matters.

Personally, I always try to avoid slumpibng forward at all, with the strap adjusted so that I have to lift the instrument slightly, although I know how difficult it can be to find a lyre that suits a BBb!
  6. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Have you got an extension shank for your mouthpiece? I know some of the lads at work use them and that may help. Although it can screw up your tuning.
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

On marching jobs I use a mouthpiece shank on my Eb and push the main tuning slide in to compensate for the extra bit of tubing - this takes all the pain out of marching - I used to stumble along, hunch backed with a crick in my neck.
    I also find that it's easier to play without reaching down to use the 4th valve, I just use 1/3 when marching.
    Mind you, your beer belly probably isn't as big as mine so you'll be able to reach!!!
    I still can't march in a straight line though !!
  8. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Two solutions.

Either (a) memorise all the marches :)) so you can concentrate on 'walking' in step)

or (b) learn to march.

B's easier. Whenever you walk (the dog, along the street, whatever) whistle/hum a simple march. Ensure that you're keeping to beat 1/left foot. And do it all the time. Everywhere. Practice. If a mummy has 2.4 kids in a customised buggy in front of you*, slow down by taking small steps...but stay in step.

Eventually, you'll get down the local High Street/ through the shopping mall /whatever taking big steps and little steps, but never losing step.

The marching becomes automatic, and you're left with worrying about playing.... and there, you're on your own :)

* (A buggy for 2.4 kids would need to be customised... :biggrin: )