Marches for Junior Bands

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by baritoneosh, Feb 3, 2011.

1. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Recently I started a new thread, regarding test pieces for junior bands, and the response was fantastic.:)

I was hoping for suggestions now for marches for Junior bands. Grade 2-3 if possible?

Looking forward to suggestions!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Marches for Junior Bands
    Junior Bands
    Marches
    suggestions
    new thread
  3. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Well if you're looking for traditional marches and want to avoid the obvious and dreary 'slaidburn' (and I rather hope you do ;) ) then consider:

Blaze Away
    True and Trusty
    Sons of the Brave
    Westward Ho
    The Chieftan

All fairly simple stuff, but nonetheless good for that. If you leave out the soprano obligato, (or have a very promising young sop player) you could get away with 'The New Colonial' as well. As for ones that are maybe a little trickier, but well-known so youngsters will probably like playing them, how about:

Colonel Bogey
    The Great Escape. (There are a few simple arrangements as well as high-grade ones.)

Hope that helps.

Andi (Self-confessed march geek)

4. winterman

winterman Member

5. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

My old junior band played the North Star(NOT THE CONTEST MARCH :|), I think it was one of William Rimmers???? Don't quote me on that one though. Great sounding march and fairly easy.
    Also tried slaidburn!

6. Beesa

Beesa Member

I don't think the minor key of Slaidburn sits too well with younger ears. (and a bit austere - I believe it was based on an Eastern Bloc military funeral march)

I think a good standard 2/4 march is important to allow a junior band to understand what a march is all about. 1-2=left right, 8 bar intro, 8 bar phrases, bass solo, trio, DC etc.

Then True and Trusty to show the difference and probably introduction to a 6/8 march. Although most of us at the likes of Whit Marches, when hear True and Trusty strike up, probably think "here we go again" , but if you are starting out in brass bands then the melodies definitely stick with you as much as anything on Top of the Pops or whatever the kids listen to these days. Plus there's a chance for a quick history lesson on J.A. Greenwood!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  7. sjs

sjs Member

These two marches from our Springboard Series have been specifically written for junior band and have proved to be very popular:

Lancastrian March by David Gwynne

Listen to it here:
    http://s224494246.websitehome.co.uk/songsamples/Lancastrian March BB .mp3

and you can see the score here :

http://s224494246.websitehome.co.uk/PDF/Lancastrian March.pdf

Miles Ahead by David Gwynne

http://s224494246.websitehome.co.uk/songsamples/Miles Ahead BB.mp3

http://s224494246.websitehome.co.uk/PDF/Miles Ahead.pdf

8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Have a try of this freebie (anyone) Royal Osborne the 2 score files can be printed back to back.
    (includes extra BC parts and F horn parts)
    Andy
    www.pdfbrass.com

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Oh, try Barnard Castle and Ballycastle bay as well. Both bright and bouncy 6:8 marches - albeit unfortunately lacking much of interest for the basses.

Ballycastle Bay is particularly good for teaching kids how dotted rhythms in compound time sit, as there are quite a few places where the melody line has groups of three comprising dotted-quaver, semiquaver, quaver - a rhythm that's known to cause problems if not fixed in the head early on!

10. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

mode for.... have a rather good junior band version of under the double eagle - with full score

I also had a simplified version of "liberty bell" which had a full score, sadly i can't recall who this was by :(

For what it's worth, Stannington training band loved playing Slaidburn when i took them.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  11. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

Slaidburn is a classic and has some really good teaching points including the minor key.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Marches for Junior Bands
    Junior Bands
    Marches
    suggestions
    new thread
  13. trombonebabe

trombonebabe Member

New Recruit was the first march I played. Barnard Castle is a bit tricky for Grade 2-3.

14. Mello

Mello Member

Try
    The March of the Lost Sheep ...from Kirklees Music.

It is not really a contest march , as it was originally written for the Douglas Town Junior Band. They enjoy it , and even the senior band liked it , so have played it themselves in concert. It is very simple and shoud do the trick

Gordon Higginbottom

15. simonpohare

simonpohare Member

Definitely try Hollyhedge March, Stuart Johnson. It's catchy, like Barnard Castle, but simple enough for your average 10-13 yr olds! Might be out of print but someone's bound to be able to get it for you.

16. baritoneosh

baritoneosh Member

Thanks for all the sugestions. I have found a few of them, and will be giving them a try in my next rehersal.

Any mor suggestions?

Thanks!

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'd also recommend "The New Recruit", specifically because it has 16 bars rest (twice) for the cornets in the trio section, which is ideal for less-experienced players (and is also the reason we still use it ourselves on long marching jobs ... :oops: )