Marches - DCs and repeats

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by peatair, Apr 27, 2005.

1. peatair

peatair Member

I hope someone can answer this. Many Marches (but not all) are marked D.C. There seems to be a viewpoint that when you go back to the beginning you do NOT play repeats. Is this viewpoint correct? I would have thought not but it might be one of those brass band traditions or something. I would appreciate your views. Cheers.
  2. MickM

MickM Member

Many bands are penalised on whit friday every year because they do NOT play marches as written.
    1 1/2 x WITH all repeats!
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

As far as my experience goes, and for what it's worth it has always been no repeats on the DC.

I once wrote a march that required the repeats and I got nothing but complaints! Miserable buggers! ;p
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I only know that we never do the repeats during the da capo, unless explicitely asked of course!.

In some marches it's explicitely noted as "da capo senza replica" (= da capo without repeats)
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

OK. So if you are any the wiser will you please PM me and explain. I lost the will to live part way through.
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

always done no repeats on the dc... gets a bit boring otherwise...
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

With all due respect Mike, if you're that bothered ... why not read the whole thing then?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've noticed that Sibelius doesn't play repeats after the D.C. either! Maybe there is a general rule of thumb for playing marches this way.
  10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

If playing as a concert/contest item, I would go with the advice from David Lancaster/Will which is in the other post. (Unless the score specifically indicates otherwise)

However, if being played whilst marching, other than Whit Friday which is a contest in this context, the decision as to when to stop playing ceases to be a musical one - and whilst on this subject, double taps are not appropriate either in a concert setting! (ex army band hat now being removed!)
  11. Just my own opinion - but I do not like marches at all (with a certain very few exceptions) - as for tradition, ie bands always start a concert with a march - I just love it when the conductor says "top to bottem, no repeats"
  12. There does seem a lot of confusion in this subject. Every time we play a march ,some start to repeat on DC's and some don't and we wonder why it sounds bad?!:biggrin:

I would agree marches get boring with too many repeats.

Just to think of a march like Star Lake/Star Lake no.2 ,if you repeated on the D.C , would get very boring in my opinion. I also like it when the fine isn't too far into the piece ,so the D.C repeat begins to feel more like a climax than a bit of a continuation.
  13. JDH

JDH Member

In military bands they do make repeats on the DC. I therefore assume, this is the correct way to play marches.
  14. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

When marching, a military band will keep playing until told to stop by the drum major - I recall many times when that didn't come until we were on a thrid time through. Once again, I would suggest that this approach is not based on musicality and shouldn't be taken as an indication of a right way to play a march.

Another thing they will also do is not play the second beat of the bar in the bar they finish on.
  15. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

I know that many (if not all) the whit friday organisers have specified that if you do not play repeats on the 2nd tnd time through this year you WILL be deducted points for it
  16. peatair

peatair Member

Thanks to all those who have replied to this. I had not realised that there had been a previous discussion about this - albeit mainly related to "Mephi."

The general line seems to be:

a) If a contest specifies DC + repeats in the rules then you must, of course do it;
    b) If a contest does not specify it, you are still advised to do it or risk losing points;
    c) at a concert it is up to the MD's sense of what is musically acceptable when playing that particular march.

As Stephen Tighe put it on the earler post:

my advice..... do the DC and the repeats at a contest, please yourself about the repeats otherwise.

Once again, many thanks to one and all...

TIMBONE Active Member

The classical tradition is that, unless otherwise stated, any piece of music with a DC or DS is played without repeats the second time, (if there are any).

Contest Marches are different it seems. Having said that, when I took Parr Band at Whit Friday last year, we did not repeat the first repeated section of Ravenswood after the DC - we did not get penalised, in fact, we gained two 1st's, two 3rd's, and 11th overall!