Marches - Dad's Army and Blackadder

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fulcherc, Jul 16, 2006.

1. fulcherc

fulcherc Member

Hi

The band that I play in are looking to purchase the marches Dad's Army and Blackadder for a bit of fun. Can anyone let me know please who publishes them and where I might be able to purchase them? :woo

Many thanks

Tina

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't think either of these are commercially available for band :(

I've heard a band play Blackadder but I don't think it was a published arrangement. :confused: There is a brass quintet version available though.

3. gemmagould

gemmagould New Member

Steven Booth has done an arrangement of Blackadders March...You may want to try his website

www.sb-music.co.uk

Or maybe contact him direct , I think his details are on the site.

Gemma

4. fulcherc

fulcherc Member

thanks Gemma :biggrin:

5. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I was actually going to arrange Dad's Army at Uni in Year 2 if I can get the copyrights, one of my favourite ever TV Comedies. ;)

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I seem to recall Dad's Army being featured in a medley. Two bands played it at Wychavon last year IIRC.

7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Derek Johnston has done an arrangement of Dad's Army. PM me if you'd like his contact details.

I have played Blackadder before too, but I don't remember who arranged it at the moment...!

8. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

I have looked high and low for both these pieces but not had any joy. The Dads Army march was done by the coldstream guards if i remember correctly.While on the subject of un-attainable scores, I have often wanted to hear the theme from "Softly Softly" I thought I had unearthed it a couple of years back but was dissapointed to find it was a different version to the one I remembered. The one I was hoping to find was I believe a later version, to go with the last series of the show which featured (I think) just trombones, five or six of them I recall with no accompanyment.Any clues anyone?

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Jack Peberdy has done an arrangement of 'Dad's Army' but I'm sure the copyright permission was soley for use with the Enderby Youth Band.

;)

10. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Steven Booth did arrange Black Adder. We have had the piece since the early 90's when Steven conducted Farnworth Band, it tends to come out on Whit Friday for the street march.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dad's Army
    Blackadder Hi
    Tina
    Army
    Marches - Dad
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm sure bassinthebathroom AKA Iain McKnight did Blackadder.... we played it ay CYBB years ago (well, 5?).... it has a megga triangle solo in it.... big solo..... we made such a fuss about this during the course!! (one note, right at the end)... :lol:

Great arrangement, so hope Iain see's this and can confirm it's buyable etc blah ;)

13. fulcherc

fulcherc Member

Congratulations on your wedding and the birth of your little girl Naomi.

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Cheers Tina.. hope all is well at STB!

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Andrew there's a Softly Softly arranged by Ray Farr (composer Bridget Fry) that's available on Just Brass - it won best new composition at the Brass in Concert contest in 2004 and I've heard it used by a few bands since. Not sure which version of the TV show it relates to but I think it might be the later one which I think was also sub-titled Task Force in 1976 onwards.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Thanks Francis, but I am pretty sure thats the one I have already bought in error. It has loads of percussion in it and is written for full band. Its the small ensemble version that I think is great, just brass with no banging and crashing in the back ground to spoil it.....percussionists, cant live with e'm, cant burn e'm. Speaking as a seasoned and experienced MD of many years standing I think Brass Bands are better off without the garage building fraternety.

17. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

DIVE, DIVE, DIVE - major kick-off alert here - who'll be the first to bite?

18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I will. I've got my lunch in front of me.

19. persins

persins Member

We had a version of Dad's army that also came with a multimedia accompaniment including the air raid siren. Not sure who it was arranged by or where we got it though!!

It was fairly pants on the whole but we played it because a segment of the concert involved a series of anicdotes from Bill Pertwee.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Ah! well, now then.......I got things slightly wrong I have discovered. The theme I was after is NOT from any version of softly softly....but a later spin off call "Barlow at Large" its a great piece of brass writing but I can not find any information about it.