Marche Militaire Francaise

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Band Lads Army, May 8, 2005.

1. Just wondered if there is a very important reason why this piece is written in cut common time?

I play a lot of SA music and have only found so far on my travels this piece with the cut common. Incidentally I played it with the REME band of the corps of army on work experience and that arrangement is in cut common.

Interested in any answers.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just a thought, but you find quite a lot of marches written in 2/2 time: two clear beats in a bar, and it avoids having too many black notes when it comes to the busier sections.
  3. Thanks for that.

I've come across a lot of 4/4 ,2/4 ,not much 2/2 and very little 12/8(torch bearers is all I have found).

Anyway think i best be off ,meeting in 7.5 hours
  4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

6/8 marches are usually american, I've found (a la sousa and so forth). But yes, the older marches are in alla breva.
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm not too sure about this, but in the renaissance period there were really only two of what we would call time signatures C and O. These represented imperfect and perfect time perfect time had a 3 pulse, imperfect didn't.

The 'cut common' type of time signature was later used to represent a 2 beat pulse with the C becoming a 4 beat one. Perhaps this is why sometimes you get marches in this time which seems odd to us now - but you know how reactionary the BB world is ;)

As PB said - and he was there at the time :p - there's less black on the page than if in 2/4.
  6. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The simple answer is because Saint-Saens wrote it that way in his Suite Algerienne. The band transcription (by Michael Kenyon, I think) is therefore faithful in this respect to the original.