March "Hearts of Oak"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScaryFlugel, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

I've been asked to find out where I can get a set of the march "Hearts of Oak" from. Don't know anything else about it, but would be interested to know more, and if anyone knows where I can buy it from.

Please PM me or respond to the thread if you have any idea!

2. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Its one of the Marches the Royal Marine Band always play, along with "Life on the ocean wave" isn`t it?
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Yep that's the one. Life on the Ocean Wave is the Royal Marines Regimental March, so to speak. Hearts of Oak, is one of those old stirring marches. Try asking the Royal Marines School of Music/
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Dragon Music Publishing has an arrangement of Heart of Oak which was commissioned by Tilbury Band for a river party on the Thames a few years ago.

Naturally, you'll want this one!

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Could you send me an email so I can let my MD know. I'm sure he be inteterested.
  6. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Hearts of Oak is the regimental march of the Royal Navy. I would think it would be in most regimental march books as the Navy is the senior service.
  7. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Isn't it in Tunes & Toasts?
  8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It is in Tunes and Toasts. We did it last year at a posh dinner for a company who supplies turbines for the Navy.

I'd have thought the arrangement would be pretty simple. TBH I can't remember though - I'd kind of lost the will to live by the time that particular piece came around! (you know how drawn out and soul-destroying those dinner gigs can be!)
  9. grandad

grandad Member