March folders

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Crazysop, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Has anyone got any recommendations as to decent waterproof march folders? Have been looking online for a while and can't seem to find anything suitable, have also done a quick search on here to see if has come up before but can't find anything.
    We need to transfer our individual marches out of the a5 poly wallets they are in as they are too flappy and generally infuriating when the slightest breeze blows them open so you can't see the dots.
    Cheers :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
  3. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

don't know about plastic folders, sorry, but you could stick pieces of card in between the music in polypockets, or laminate them.

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We have tried card, but the wallets are so flimsy they still blow open, also, with all the card they are heavy and thick and regularly fall out of lyres, that's when the individual marches aren't flying out all on their own. Suppose if get no joy we could laminate them all. What a faff though.

5. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I would make copy, card and laminate the copy for marching. means you still have the origional if a card gets lost.I know thw copyright lobby will jump on the band wagon here, But the set has been bought and paid for, this is just a means of preserving the set as complete set and weatherproofing them. I think many would be un obtainable now any way.

6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

We've got some march folders, but I find them really chunky and they don't stay in the lyres very well.

I prefer our sets of marches that we've laminated. Then we hole punched them and tied them together so they stay as a pack. Means we've only really got 7 marches to choose from though, which gets a bit boring doing Lewes Bonfire where you're marching from 5:30 til gone midnight!

7. SteveT

SteveT Member

As the former librarian of an Army band, I would recommend that you use lamination. The problem with wallets is they take up too much space in the lyre. Also, they are a nightmare to keep up to date ifyou keep changing the music you use. Also, lamination protects music from the weather and alows for quick changes in music.

The other alternative is to learn the music. I used to go on parade with virtually no music in the lyre at all. Just a bcking card.

8. you could also use treasurey tags to make changeing march pads around easier.

9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Looks like we may have to set some poor soul the task of lamination! Thanks for the replies :)

10. if you copy them small enough you get to copies to a piece of laminater. also back to back for standard march copies saves on bulky march pads.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When we did the Lord Mayor's Show we had sets of marches laminated, with rings holding them together. They have proved very useful, not least on occasions when we've been out in the wet, and we added the British Legion March for this year.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
  13. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Try Dave Beal at Band Supplies, Leeds. They stock some that the lyre fits snugly in to place and they are wallet type sleeves to add whatever you need to.

14. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Now heres a thing, If a band does create laminated copies for weather marching. Is that technically a breach of copyright?

Would publishers be hard nosed about this? I mean after all their incomes couldbe affected if Bands no longer replace soaked copies (TiC).

15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The key thing is "permission". On a number of occasions in the past I have contacted various publishers and politely requested permission to make copies for one-off special circumstances (laminated copies for whit Friday, copies stuck to rigid card for Bugle contest and similar outdoor events), and on every occasion the publishers have agreed without hesitation.

Just common courtesy, really ...