Marble or Wood

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MRSH, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

One for all you cooks out there.

My lovely marble chopping board finally succumbed and a little crack turned in to a big crack splitting it completely in half.

I was looking on the net for a replacement and came across a load of advice saying NEVER buy a marble chopping board - primarily because it blunts the knives. I must say I have never liked wooden boards as they scar too easily and become a hive for dirt and bacteria.

Anybody got any recommendations? and what do you use - marble or wood?
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

We have a glass one here
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I've read the same advice for the glass ones too - it blunts the knives.
  4. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Wood all the time. You can't beat a bit of bacteria
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The chopping boards in modern caravans and motor homes are made of dishwasher friendly nylon/plastic.
    You'll know that Mr B. but I'm still saving up.
    Apparently wooden ones should be sanded occasionally to deny those nasty germy gremlins anywhere to hide.

- Wilkie
  6. steve butler

I was going to say that, but it sounded too sensible :D
  7. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

wood for veg
    plastic for meat
  8. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Two different coloured plastic ones, with that antibacterial coating on them. Red for meat, green for veg.

We do have a big block wood one, but I struggle to even pick it up lol!
  9. Lewis Chris

Lewis Chris Member

Certain knife manafacturers advise certain materials. A certain very expensive brand go as far as saying which type of wood is best. When I worked as a chef we had plastic for hygiene reasons, but at home I always use wood with my knives. Only use the plastic boards with the other halfs' knives....:biggrin:
  10. steve butler

I like wood with my veg, sometimes using plastic on top.
  11. David Mann

David Mann Member

Polypropylene for us.
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Chopping board...? I use the worktop - oops! :oops:
  13. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

wood for chopping in the house
    plastic for chopping in the caravan
    marble for rolling out pastry and icing
  14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Wood. I've got a small butcher's block which is fab - barely marked after about 5 years, and it stands up to scrubbing and boiling water.
  15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Marble is used for pastry, as Michelle mentioned further up. It's nice and cold so it's ideal for this.
  16. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

i found brushed aluminium is a good cutting surface, especially for meat, but its not exactly the cheapest way, go for a good solid wooden chopping board made from a harder wood to give it a bit of a longer life
  17. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I am about to reveal just how sad I am.

My brother rang me earlier to wish me happy birthday and what did I do?
    Asked him what chopping board he uses.

He says that He uses plastic chopping boards for chopping stuff. A lot of restaurants are averse to using wood because of bacteria build up but there are places who claim that wood has it's own antibacterial properties. This is also the same for knives. A lot of restaurants prohibit the use of wooden handled knives because of bacteria build up.

Marble Chopin boards (intentional ;)) aren't good for chopping as they blunt your knife but are second to none for rolling pastry and other things like that.

Glass ones are a big no no as if you smash it, you are screwed and have to throw any food in the vicinity away.

Hows that then?
  18. steve butler

I think shifty trombone players should be banned, due to bacteria build up!

Only joking Anton du-bone :D
  19. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

It is quite sad how things seem to take over our lives. Look at brass bands and contests, eh!!!;)

Anyway, I've gone wooden - tomorrow I will be taking delivery of my brand new, 12" x 18" "food grade sectional wooden chopping board" :dunno

Hope it's worth it - otherwise it's back to the worktop :eek:
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:rolleyes: ... you should have bought a plastic one! ;)