Map of brass bands - work done so far...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Apr 22, 2011.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

and also ​France
  2. RossAB

RossAB Member

Something I've just noticed, the icon for Thomas Coaches Mid Rhondda is a Non-competing one, but they competed in the third section Welsh regionals this year.
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Fixed, thanks!
  4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

6. The University of Salford has 2 brass bands, University of Salford Brass Band and the Adelphi Brass Band. Hope this helps.
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

'Tis done
  8. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Switzerland now done - an impressive density of bands, particularly considering the general lack of banding in the surrounding countries.

Which I think (with the probable exception of a lot of the SA bands, which don't seem to have so much of an easily found web presence - please point out ones that I've missed) completes Europe.
  9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

:clap: :tup
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

And that's Japan, pretty much, I think. I think I've weeded out the entries on online lists that list ensembles with "brass band" in their titles that include woodwind instruments (seems to be a reasonably common linguistic confusion among Japanese bands), but I'm sure I've not got it perfect, particularly as I've been working via Google translations of Japanese websites...

Which, in the absence of much else brass band wise in that part of the world, I think completes Asia.
  11. GordonH

GordonH Member

Just a few corrections for the Scottish ones:

Brass Central - Crieff (if this still exists it is in Tayside not central)

Livingston - ceased to exist ten years ago as it merged with Borxburn which is correctly listed.
    West Calder - not listed so needs to be added (its had a patchy history but seems to be going well these days)

12. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Thanks Gordon. Bit confused about these, could you clarify?

Brass Central - Crieff:
    Is a new band (founded this year), definitely in Crieff. Are we talking about the same group? I suppose there are only a finite number of catchy ensemble names!
    Was there another former "Brass Central" in brass band formation in Tayside that we ought to know about?

Livingston looks correctly listed as extinct and merged (in 2004) with Broxburn to me:

West Calder looks listed to me:

Am I missing something?
  13. GordonH

GordonH Member

Sorry, I was looking on the wrong web page!

However Crieff is in Tayside.
  14. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

As in 25 miles upriver from the river end of the Firth of Tay? Sorry, was being dense, had it in my head as being further inland than that. My Scottish geography is not bad for a Sassenach, but I haven't spent much time in that part of Scotland.
  15. GordonH

GordonH Member

Tayside/Lothian/Strathclyde/Central refer to the old regional local authorities which were abolished over ten years ago. They are still in common usage and everyone knows what they mean so there is no harm using them. Central was what we now call Stirling, Clackmannan and Falkirk Districts. The only band in those areas now to my knowledge is Clackmannan. Crieff is near to Perth which was in Tayside region (now Perth and Kinross ).
  16. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

and so is Australia:

Which, unless my geography is awry, completes the whole world... Huzzah!

So, after having gone through what must be not a million miles off all the brass bands in the world, we currently have 2896 active bands mapped (out of currently 4006 total mapped and 7620 listed in some capacity over the years - almost all of those extra will be extinct bands, I would anticipate).