Map of brass bands - work done so far...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MoominDave, Apr 22, 2011.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I've been putting a fair bit of effort recently into populating the map of brass bands on Tim Sawyer's site at I consider that I've got some regions near complete now (or at least as close as one can get through internet searching) - but I'm sure local knowledge can turn up some errors on my part and also bands that don't have an internet presence. I'll list in this thread areas that I think are near complete in the hope that people with better local knowledge will check and offer feedback.

Within the British Isles:
    Northern Ireland
    Republic of Ireland
    Isle of Man
    North of England region - Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, Durham, North Yorkshire, East Riding of Yorkshire, plus the remaining bits of Humberside
    Isle of Wight

Faroe Islands
    South Africa

Even better than checking any of these that you may happen to know locally would be for you to get involved and fill in other areas yourself. Reasonably complete lists of bands along with links to their websites, sorted by geographical area, can be found at: (UK county by county) (world countries, A-M)
    and (world countries, N-Z)
    You can often get an exact geographical location from a band's website, or if not the precise position and/or postcode of their rehearsal venue, then at least the town that they rehearse in. Google maps will then allow you to extract the latitude and longitude of that position, and - hey presto! It's really easy.
  2. John_D

John_D Member

I notice that there are ommisions from the 'map of bands' in the South Yorkshire area, even though some appear in the list for South Yorkshire.
  3. MoominDave

I haven't been through South Yorkshire yet! It wasn't listed above as an area near completion...

If you wanted to fill some of them in, that would be a great help? I see from your banding experience that you must be pretty familiar with Lincolnshire, which I've just been through the list for.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. John_D

John_D Member

Most of the bands I've played with in Lincolnshire no longer exist (it was probably around 20 years ago that I played regularly for them). Hope it's not something I said that helped their demise.
  5. MoominDave

West Yorkshire now done - mostly just checking, as someone had already done quite a thorough job there. Tim, I suspect...
  6. YRBBC

YRBBC Member

If you look on the Yorkshire Brass Band Championships website there is a map on there showing location of all the competing bands in the Yorkshire region.

There is a problem at the moment accessing it via Internet Explorer but no problem if you access it via Mozilla Foxfire
  7. MoominDave

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll compare the two once I've been through South Yorkshire.
  8. John_D

John_D Member

Regarding the 'county' lists, you have Barton Town showing under Humberside, whilst Barnetby Silver and Barrow Concert show under Lincolnshire. All 3 are actually in North Lincolnshire (which was formally part of Humberside.
    Also you list Grimsby Citidal under Humberside, whilst Kingsway Printers Cleethorpes is under Lincolnshire. Both are in North East Lincolnshire (which, again, was part of Humberside.
    When Humberside was abolished the 4 authorities of North Lincs, North East Lincs, East Yorkshire and Kingston upon Hull were created.
    It may be worth putting all the above under 'Humberside' as this would then be consistant with the make-up of the 'North of England' area.
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I should be able to help you with the Belgian bands, if only I had some time available right now... :(
  10. animal.22

animal.22 Member

Hi,I tried the link and went direct to the site also but there is no map showing on the site.Unless I'm doing something wrong of course(which is eminently possible :biggrin:)
    Also, Humberside doesn't actualy exist as a county any more! Just so you know.
  11. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Works for me:

Does work for you?

12. animal.22

animal.22 Member

13. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'm not getting a map (or any other info) on that link either
  14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Works fine for me in Firefox 4, IE9 and Chrome 10.0.648.204. Haven't tried Safari or Opera, but if it works in Chrome it will work in Safari.
  15. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

It would be good to be able to enter any band room you know of, not just your own band. There are several that I could pinpoint around me that aren't on there (Lancashire).
  16. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

You can enter co-ordinates for any band, as long as that band is already listed on the site. Use the "My Band isn't on this map" link. Just fill in the comments box if the band isn't in the database and we'll get it added.

Those of you having trouble seeing the map, can you post the name of your browser, version and operating system please?

17. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Mozilla 4.0, IE 7.0, Windows 7.
    I can see everything down to "Brass Band Map" and from [My band isn't on this map] to the bottom of the page, with a whole lot of nothing in the middle! (And googlemaps and all the other pages on bbr work fine)
  18. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Humberside should never have been classed as a county in the first place, it was an administration area. God,s chosen county had Three Ridings (Thirds) East Yorkshire,North Yorkshire and West Yorkshire
  19. MoominDave

The county lists are on a different site (Gavin Holman's IBEW). I only put the links up here to point people at a useful resource for this work - maybe best if you email him on the contact page at the list page with your suggestions? Thanks all for the feedback so far, much appreciated.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  20. MoominDave

South Yorkshire now done - and hence the whole Yorkshire region (both contesting and geographical) now complete - with a heavy nod to whoever had input most of the locations already.