Manual or Automatic ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by rightnowmusic, Oct 27, 2004.

Manual or Automatic ?

1. Manual

2. Automatic

3. No preference

4. Who cares ?..... I aint got no car !

1. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

What kind of gears do you prefer in cars ?

My preference: Manual :D
  2. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I also prefer manual....although I've never driven an automatic! But I was in the car just after dad had his new automatic and Mum tried to change gear (result in putting into park or something). Interesting experience as we stopped in the middle of the road!
  3. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

No preference - my cars a manual, but rental car the weekend in Belfast was an automatic. Normaly drive automatics when overseas as well (but that just saves me having to think about using the other hand - bad enough driving on the 'wrong' side of the road ;) )
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

No preference...

Learnt and always had manuel cars... but my uncle let me drive his Mazda MX5 back in May and that was automatic... :-D
  5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Used to prefer manual, but in the traffic around DC there is far too much shifting going on.
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Personnally I prefer manual. For small and medium-sized cars (European Standards) this still works the best, I think.
    For big luxury cars with lots of torque and power, automatic gearboxes are in theory better, because you have much petter control over your car. But then a lot depends on the quality and the tuning of the gearbox. In America and Japan, most people prefer automatics, but their gearboxes are sloooooow... They just don't seem to react. Most European automatic gearboxes (like the ones from BMW or Mercedes) work so much nicer.
    And then there are the semi-automatic gearboxes, which are actually robotized manual gearboxes: they really combine the best of both worlds! (I've not driven one of those yet unfortunately). The top of the bill in this category is supposed to be the DSG gearbox of Volkswagen/Audi... (with a double clutch)
  7. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Prefer manual only because automatics seem to guzzle all the juice!
  8. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

manual... drove an auto twice last year, and just felt lazy the whole time... also, overtaking was a rather scary experience, waiting for the engine to drop down a gear...
  9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

it's got to be semi-auto, ie sequential, for me. Minimum effort, maximum control!
  10. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

Horses for courses. A sports car needs a manual - I couldn't imagine my Austin Healey Sprite with an auto, it just wouldn't work.

But big cars, well that's a different story. I have a 1971 Rover P5B and a 1985 Jag XJ6. Both with big engines, lots of torque. For those, an automatic is definately the way. If you've never driven an auto with a few litres to spare, you wouldn't know, but its almost a different way of driving. You can come up to a roundabout or junction and make your decision far later than you could with a manual because all you have to do is drop your foot, and you're off.

One word, Lynchie - kickdown. The acceleration from my Rover or Jag is truly terrifying when you do that.

I do agree, though, that an auto together with a small engine is a recipe for a miserable experience.

11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I would have always said manual but i drove a BMW with sequential and it was superb !

Just need to find the money to trade in my 15 year old Peugeot Diesel for a shiney new BMW !

Could be a long wait
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's not so much that I prefer but that I have to cos my left side has bad coordination with my right side.

...No one dare go down that route! :evil:
  13. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

noone really needs to....u've done it urself ;-) hehe.
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I typically don't really have a preference. However, with stop&go city driving (as mentioned above) manual can be quite a hassle.

Although, I am quite glad we have an automatic here in the UK, because getting used to round-a-bouts and driving on the left side of the road is difficult enough without having to worry about gear changes (and with the left hand!!)
  15. Lil Miss

Lil Miss Active Member

well it helps strengthen ur left hand for other activities ;)
  16. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

manual all the way.
    only driven one auto, S type Jag - 4 litre...... that was interesting !

17. six pints

six pints Active Member

im 19 and havent even sent off for my provisional yet. i WOULD kill people if i drove, this way is safer for everyone...
  18. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

hmmm....playing french horn?
  19. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

very true cheryl!
  20. six pints

six pints Active Member

be careful twisty, i broke someones arm on fri night!