Manchester Children's Hospitals Charity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Anno Draconis, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Much against my better judgement last year I managed to drag my corpulent self around the 10km of the Great Manchester Run. In the process I managed to raise nearly £500 for the National Library for the Blind.

This year, having forgotten the pain, I'm having another go. Last summer my 3 year old daughter Emily was taken ill with Nephrotic Syndrome (more information here) and was looked after very well by the staff at Booth Hall Children's Hospital in Manchester. She is now much better and is receiving follow-up care from the Renal Unit at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital in Pendlebury. As a way of saying thank you, I have decided to run to raise money for the Manchester Children's Hospitals Charity which fundraises jointly for both charities.

I would very much appreciate your support; you can sponsor me online by visiting my fundraising website. This gives you a lot of protection as they can check that (and only take your money if) I have completed the run, collect Gift Aid money for the charity and pass it direct to their bank account.

I hope you can spare a few quid; I know that the hospitals will appreciate anything they can get! The run itself is on 21 May and if the Mods don't mind, I'll post the occasional update here so you can laugh at how badly my "training" is going. So go on, forego a pint after band for a few weeks and pledge the money to Manchester Children's Hospitals instead. You know you'll feel good about yourselves..:D . I will put the links in my siggy as well, just to batter home the message.

Many thanks folks,

PS Middleton band members needn't visit the website as I will be shaking you upside down for coins at band practice anyway ;)
  2. vonny

vonny Member

My youngest daughter Naomi will be competing in the Manchester run (junior) as she did last year. I think it is a great event, but I haven't competed myself - often thought about doing. This year on the 21st May I will be in OZ so won't be able to compete - but next year, who knows!
    I will look on your fundraising website soon Andy and make a contribution :)
  3. Anno Draconis

Thanks Yvonne, much appreciated :D :tup
  4. Anno Draconis

[*Spot of cheeky thread bumping masquerading as an update - sorry mods:D ]

Just to refresh the memories of all you charitable tMPers out there.....

I have actually been training for this :eek: :eek: :eek: - well, I say training. I'm not sure Haile Gebrselassie is quaking in his boots just yet. I can comfortably do 3 miles at the right pace to do the race in about 55 minutes, and just to up the general fitness I've been cycling the 6 miles to work. Boy did I regret that today; the torrential rush hour downpour combined nicely with the trucks to get me wetter than the average fish. So I might have a day off cycling tomorrow while all my kit dries out :mad: .

However compared to the marathon runners I'm not exactly at the peak of physical perfection, which is why I NEED YOUR SPONSORSHIP TO MOTIVATE ME! So far I've got £340 promised and I'm trying to get to £500. So if 80 tMPers give the price of a pint (which in central Mcr is at least £2!) I've made it!

Many thanks to those of you who have already promised, and I hope to see loads more of you visiting to sponsor me soon!

Thanks for reading...;)

PS If anyone is doing the Race for Life, Sport Relief Mile, or anything else later in the year, I'll happily do tit-for-tat sponsorship with you! PM me and we'll sort out the details...
  5. Anno Draconis

Well, I got round, despite the wet conditions. I'm currently nursing my aching legs and jogger's nipple, but nonetheless am feeling pretty smug 'cos I did it in ....

[drum roll.....]

57 mins 16 seconds :woo , which is an 11 minute improvement on last year! So I'm a bit chuffed now.

However, despite the fact that the race is done and dusted my fundraising page will still be up for 2 months, so anyone who hasn't got round to spnsoring me yet, PLEASE VISIT! I'm just £6 short of £600 which will buy a lot of toys and books for Booth Hall and Pendlebury Childrens' hospitals, and every little extra helps!

I'm off to spend the rest of the day in a hot bath......;)
  6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Congratulations on a job well done. Enjoy your soak!!