Man or Machine?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by waynefiler, Nov 28, 2006.

1. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I own a Yamaha Maestro cornet and was wondering from fellow Maestro owners,

Warning! silly question alert!

Does anybody else struggle getting an F above top C on it? :confused:

I'm not trying to brag about my range or anything, I'm starting to get a bit down because I can't hit and hold it. I can get higher just not an F.

Is it a dodgy note on the instrument?
    or is it just me?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- try curling your lips inwards over your teeth a little ... to concentrate airflow and increase it, move the tip of you tongue towards the aperture. You might be surprised at what effect it will have on your range. Good thing about this system is that if you cannot control it (and that's the important bit) it has no effect on your normal form of production that you can resort or return to. It also releases pressure on the chops as well.

post-edit:- I forgot to mention that trying should eliminate any doubts about hitting the note. However, because the harmonic series is closer together, try alternative fingering to adjust and centre.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  3. Griffis

Griffis Member

Unfortunately for top F is actually the F on the top line of the stave ;) (although some might say that the F on the bottom of the stave suits me better) so I can't really help you on that one!!
  4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

What fingering are you using? On my courtois, high F slots better Open rather than 1st valve...
  5. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I'm using the bog standard 1st valve for it but have tried 1-3 as an alternative.
    I'll give open a go.

6. smiler_38

smiler_38 Member

Ever thought about moving to Sop? :)
  7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

You should be able to play from high c to high g (if you can) all on open..

remember, smile and press hard to get those notes... :)
  8. persins

persins Member

What's a top F above c?!!
    I'd get a nose bleed trying to hit one of them!!
  9. JR

JR Member

Ask Richard Marshall!
    When he was at Rothwell aged 16 he used to sail up to the F in the Debutante on a Denis Wick no 2 and his old Sovereign cornet - that was in his audition
    And that was 15 years ago

10. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I've got a recording of Herbert L Clarke "sailing" up to the F in the Debutante recorded at the turn of the last century.......
    Not sure Dennis Wick was around, or Soverign cornets either for that matter...
  11. Texus

Texus Member

Use the Dave Q technique of sticking a hamster down the lead pipe and then force feeding it cheeseburgers......
    Atleast thats what it sounds like
    (sorry mate)
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Damn , my secret technique has been revealed..

You forgot to mention where the mouthpiece cleaning brush is inserted...
  13. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I used to play sop a while ago but prefered playing Bb, I leave that to the pro's.

What can you say about that?
    He's just good!

I don't have a hamster, but have got a pet rat. Will it still work and what kind of burgers work best? lol
  14. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

To the original poster, surely in order to find out if it's you or the instrument (that said, it can't really be the instrument's 'fault' unless there is something actually wrong with it) you need to stick your mouthpiece in a few other instruments and see if you hit them on there?