Man Of Mystery

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, May 17, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Man Of Mystery Anyone
    Kent
    news
    word
    mute pianist
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Read about this in the papers on Sunday. Lots of echos of the film Shine here.

It will be interesting to see how this chaps story unfolds. On the face of it (and assuming there is no other "jokey" or sinister motive behind this) he's clearly had a massive trauma of some discription.

One thing that puzzles me though: This guy is said to be a "concert standard" pianist, found wearing an expensive suit. Is it such a big assumption that he might he been / should have been performing that night? Or failing that if he is really as good as the press is making out then he must've played in a concert of some description somewhere. Or in a group, if not an orchestra. Music is a fairly insular world if he really is a virtuoso piano player I find it a bit odd that no-one has recognised this guy.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... totally bizarre circumstances in my opinion! Doesn't add up that no-one has declared him missing.

5. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Certainly a mystery.

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

On a more serious note, his obsessive piano playing, plus his phenomenal memory in writing music down, are both symptoms of autism. Also, apparently, those who suffer with obsessional behaviour are known to remove all labels from clothing.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Generalising from a third party point of view about this individual's psychological status is something I would not attempt when he is in an institution suited to diagnose any dysfunctions that he may exhibit. I'm sure that the professionals there would have subjected him to many batteries of tests in an attempt to find out anything that may be inhibiting his behaviour. However, if he does suffer from any of the PDDs (Persuasive Development Disorders) or ASDs (Austistic Development Disorders), all the more puzzling that friends or family have not come forward to the authorities worried about his absence.

9. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

My comments about autism amd compulsive behaviour disorder did not come from myself, although my ex-brother-in-law did teach guitar at a home for autistic people, and my knowledge of compulsive behaviour disorder is fairly well informed.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Tim, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you in any way, but adult forms of autism has only been recognised in recent years by the authorities. Problems have emerged simply because many have been labeled with obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizoid personality, simple schizophrenia, affective disorder, mental retardation or brain damage. Drug treatment to these individuals with wrong diagnosis masks the symptoms that show forms of autism such as Asperger's Syndrome (which, in the history of abnormal psycholgy, is still a new area of research). And yes, I too have worked with autistic children at a day centre during my degree studies.

11. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Sorry Brassneck, I was not meaning to sound argumentative. You obviously know much more about it than I do. I was just reitterating some things that I had heard about the case, and comparing them with some of my own experiences.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Man Of Mystery Anyone
    Kent
    news
    word
    mute pianist
  13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

In The Scotsman, some people have thought this guy to be "Swedish musician Martin Sturfalt, 26, who bears a striking similarity to the mystery man. The concert pianist, who spends time in London and Stockholm, even received calls from worried friends asking if he was well."

http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=540922005