Man in his Labour - John Ireland for Brass band and Choir

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by EastLondonBrass, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm looking for some help in locating a forgotten piece of music by John Ireland. It was written in 1947 and is "Man in his Labour" for brass band and SATB choir.

if you know of a band that may have this in their library can you contact East London Brass via eastlondonbrass@hotmail.com as it would help greatly with a concert we are taking part in June this year.

Thanks

East London Brass

2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

How fascinating - I've never heard of it! I wonder if a copy might be found in the British Library? I recall that's where Howard Snell uncovered Vaughan Williams' forgotten Henry V overture all those years ago.

3. JTM

JTM New Member

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

You may have already found this information, but this web site shows that it was arranged for chorus and brass band, and it is available from here arranged for SATB and piano. Both sites show the publisher as Stainer & Bell, whose web site only shows the SATB and piano arrangement. It might be worth having a chat with them, though.

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Not in answer to the subject, I'm afraid, but this sparked a thought - I've produced a small number of brass quintet + choir pieces in recent history - a couple of settings of already existing tunes ('Sumer is Icumen In' and a French folk song) and a couple of arrangements (Gershwin's 'Summertime' and Percy Fletcher's 'Ring Out Wild Bells'). I think the Fletcher in particular would adapt well to band and choir [plus of course Fletcher has an obvious band connection], and would be willing to do the arrangement if there was an interest.

Are you specifically looking for band+choir pieces of the period?

6. Thanks for all the pointers, I am now in contact with Stainer and Bell (who are looking through their archives) and will contact the British Library this morning. Some additional information has arisen that it was dedicated to the mineworkers of great britain and written in the 40s...the search continues.

Dave,

They sound interesting, but the concert we are doing is very specifically John Ireland and his pupils/lover. It's part of the John ireland Music Festival in Chelsea (50 years since his death) which runs for 5 days in June this year in St Luke's, and the John Ireland Music trust/artistic Director have approached us to put on a concert of brass band works. The programme is now set, but the organiser and I are trying to track down this one elusive piece (well the set of brass band parts actually).

The prog is:

1st half
    Comedy Overture
    Pavanne for a Castleton Queen (Alan Bush)
    Epic March (arr.P.Littlemore)
    Carnival (Helen Perkin)
    2nd half
    Russian Funeral Music (Britten arr.Farr)
    Man in his Labour Rejoiceth (for Choir and Band)
    Suite from the Overlanders (arr.P.Littlemore)
    Downland Suite

it's on June 24th at 2pm in St Luke's Chelsea.

Cheers

Martin

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

This sounds all very exciting. You should certainly have the honour of reviving this piece, but afterwards, I wouldn't mind betting that Paul Hindmarsh up at the RNCM festival would be interested in your discovery. Well done! And a work by Alan Bush as well! I wonder how many other little gems are hidden away, long forgotten?

8. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Had a conversation with Andy Duncan about this piece when I was in Dundee at the beginning of December. If memory serves then I think he mentioned that he was connected with a potential upcoming performance of it either through his work at the college in Glasgow or SABA.
    Andy's contact details are on the SABA website.
    Hope this helps.

9. Thanks for the comments Jim. A big thanks goes to the Harrogate band for the loan of the rarely played Alan Bush piece which I tracked down to their library.

Sandy,

Thanks for this.

I'll try him on the weekend. I have been in contact with David Read and he found that it was commissioned by the National Coal Board in 1947 and performed on May 1st 1948 at the the Haringey Stadium when 9 choirs and 8 colliery bands came together for a massed band/choir performance under the baton of Sir Adrian Boult!

I've been in contact with one of the colliery bands that took part in the concert and they are going to see if they have it in their library, so fingers crossed!

Thanks

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In the diary and hope to see you there!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass
    John Ireland
    Choir Hi
    Labour
    SATB