Malt Whisky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Mar 19, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

So here we go then:
    I like Malt Whisky and have a VERY LARGE collection to drink.
    My favorite one is
    LAGAVULIN.
    Because it is smooth and full of flavour with a good aftertaste also peaty as well.
    What is your Favorite Malt Whisky and why?
    Bear in mind that we are talking MALT WHISKYS not BLENDED WHISKY i.e GRANTS ,BELLS etc

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Malt Whisky
    LAGAVULIN.
    MALT WHISKYS
    BELLS
    WHISKY i
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Isle of Jura for me, folllowed closely by Glenlivet.

4. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Highland Park at a push, but [controversial] I prefer Irish and Bourbons. Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack is probably my best one so far [/controversial]

BMB
    xx

6. timbloke

timbloke Member

i'd probably go for highland park, mainly cos it was the first I had. However Laphroig is very nice and I;'ve got a nice Ardbeg downstairs. To be honest I like them all and can never pick my favourite.

Staying on the possibly controversial note, I went around the jameson's distillery a couple of years back and one of their special reserv's that I bought is very drinkable, but in a completely different style and mood, so perhaps can't be compared. I've also developed a taste for Drambuie an alternative.

7. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

25 year old

I have to totally agree having enjoyed a bottle of the twenty five year old over the last six months. Unlike the rollo advert I'm afraid I didn't share it with many people, just me and myself. How indulgent is that lol.

DJ

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Ah Whisky (and whiskey)

I am not very fond of strong peat overtones in whisky, I prefer the mild almost sweet flavour of the Glenlivet already mentioned, and the 25's of any kind have a lot more to recommend them over the 10's and 12's

I have to say that the commercially available JD's have lost their attraction lately, with a harsh, almost resinous overtone. Probably a consequence of increased mass production.

Jim Beam is my current US bred favourite (should that be favorite?)

The Jameson's is very good at the moment, very mild, but warming and good for sharing because it's cheap.

How long did it take you to drink the Macallan? Was it a 2litre bottle? ;)

I realise I have just committed sacrilege. Mea Culpa.:oops:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  9. klh

klh New Member

Balvenie and glenfarclas.......... However I do tend to chop and change....womens perogative I suppose:)

Bb bass player

10. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Gotta be JD's! *smiles to self* :)

11. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

For whiskeys it has to be Glenfiddich! :p

Last drop of Jamesons i had was rather good as well.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Malt Whisky
    LAGAVULIN.
    MALT WHISKYS
    BELLS
    WHISKY i
  13. klh

klh New Member

Glenfiddich....mmmmmm yes my original favourite!

14. Lewis Music Press

Lewis Music Press New Member

1 The Macallan, 192 points.
    2 Lagavulin, 191 points
    3 Laphroaig, 190 points

All three to qualify for the finals.

Slainte mhath agus slainte mhor.

Andy Duncan

15. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

I mostly enjoy Glenmorangie... Only straight though...

As a mixer with lemonade or in a Hot Toddy, I use the crap people buy for gifts...

Good tip for Horn Players with a gig bag like mine, front compartment has a pocket perfect for a 35cl bottle... Emergency supply for use on coaches, party's, tuesdays etc... :tup

Not JD's?? Doesnt do it for me??

16. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

Glayva.

A gentleman with an educated palate; I hope to share a little of the winner with you in the summer while we fish those wonderful lochs.

DJ

17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

A very nice person gave me a bottle of 12 year old Bowmore for Christmas last year. Don't think I've tasted better than that, although I do enjoy Laphroaig and The Glenlivet (When I can afford it!)

G.

18. ignore me

ignore me Member

Don't be too hard on the bended

Had a great bottlr of Grants in a sherry cask a wee while ago-recommend it to anyone

Although to redeem myself - I agree with the person who said Glenlivet. Also into various Irish stuff right now

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

If it's whisky then I'll drink it - but my current favourite is Glenmorangie. I quite like Speyburn too, but that could be because my brother gives me some of his free bottles sometimes... ;)

20. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

At the moment I 'ave been mostly drinkin' Auchentoshan, very nice and smooth - triple distilled like the Irish whiskeys.

Top 3 are:

1. Rosebank
    2. Dalwhinnie
    3. Highland Park

Of course this is subject to change everytime my dad takes me up to Leith.

21. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

Must admit, I've only had a couple of glasses of the 25 yr old Macallan (couldn't justify the price of a whole bottle) and it is gorgeous...so smooth and easy. But I do go (in a big way) for Laphroaig. I love the smoky peatiness...luckily I have a few colleagues who appreciate my work..so I can count on at least two bottles at Christmas. Good end of nighters in the pub are either Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie.

Sud.

22. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I've just finished a nice glass of the Ardbeg. ONly a 10 year old, but wow!:cool: