Making way for the world cup . . .

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I don't mind the world cup, I appreciate that it makes some people excited and no doubt I'll use it as an excuse to go to the pub more frequently.

But why do they have to stop Topgear for 5 weeks??? It's like when they stop neighbours for Wimbledon ....

What sacrifices will you make in your life for the world cup?
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I might have to sacrifice some of my bank balance and buy a load of new DVDs to avoid watching any footy!!! :biggrin:

Bah Humbug!
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Caroline, you're a very nice lady, and ya know I love ya loads, heck, I've even voted for you in various "who's your favourite" polls, but if you're gonna start coming out with the anti footie stuff I'm afraid you're gonna get seriously modded. The "sacrifice" as you put it is having to make trips to the loo etc when ther are games being played. Thank the lord for Sky+!!! :biggrin:

Now watch your step. :tongue:
  4. Mr Howe (thought it had better be now you have power)

This lass does have a point, why does the bill get sacrificed for stupid reality programs so much?, to be fair though, the world cup is a fair bit more important than crummy trashy reality programs ;)
  5. 2nd man down

Aaaand don't you forget it sonny!! ;)

Answer is I've no idea, I don't watch the bill to they can shuffle it around for me as much as they like. With Top Gear I can kind of understand the frustration on Carolines part cos it is a class program, however I'm afraid they can all go on the back burner for me while the World Cup's on.
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I thought I wrote it quite positively! I don't mind about the football, as I said, i'll probably enjoy the pub related session and all that jazz and not once comment about the boys running around then falling over like big girls..

My only proper anti-football gripe would be how people who don't want to get involved have it rammed down their throat - it's almost a dictatorship with regards to football!!

My original point was.....Topgear is amazing, so don't deny me of my pleasure! as i said I like Wimbledon too, but I hate the fact they remove neighbours from my life for it.

Love you 2md - don't mod me :wink: xx
  7. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

These Football tournaments are only for 1 month every 2 years.

Us people who don't want to be involved with soaps and reality programmes get them rammed down our throat 365 days a year! ;)

Best thing to do is make plans for 2 years time when the next tournament is on, tape loads of programmes or get some DVDs in and then watch those!

I'm a big fan of The Bill and I don't mind it going down to 1 episode a week cos of the World cup, but I hate it when it gets binned in favour of "The Soap awards" or "I'm a tedious celebrity get me out of here"
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I've sacrificed £89 for a Sky+ box...
  9. Jamie

Jamie Member

Wouldn't it be worse if it was on and you had to choose to watch one or the other? At least this way, while I'm watching the footy I know I'm not missing anything else...

(Mind you, if you're a 'video it and watch it later' sort then that wont matter... I tape stuff and never get round to watching it... Hmm... maybe I just answered my own question...:rolleyes: )
  10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Hooray for Caroline! It needed to be said. And I agree loads. Top Gear is on BBC2 anyway, which doesn't tend to show very much of the footy, so why can't we keep it? Don't care if I get modded, the Badger will bite. :tongue: :tongue:
  11. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Alarming news - neighbours isn't on, instead there's football.
    Where is neighbours?
    Nobody warned me about this. How can I be a student if I can't watch neighbours?
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Our telly is broken so we've borrowed one while it's in the workshop but we can't get the Freeview box to work. I have a small badger in the house who can't watch CBeebies, AND then they go and run football through all the kiddies programmes on ITV as well! Small badger not happy at all.
  13. i was actually being polite, i even called you by your name, i aint no sonny of yours, thank god, and the bill is a good program, i aint into top gear, but its personal preferance, i like it when the world cup and euro champs are on, as said, all only shown every 2 years, but its when the bill gets replaced by reality programs, god that does my head in.

the 1 thing about the world cup coverage is the contrasting views coming from bbc and itv. which coverage are people preferring? im watching a bit of both, interesting to hear the varying views between the 2.
  14. 2nd man down

*breaths a huge exasperated sigh* And I was having a little joke, hence the ";) " at the end of my sentance. It was meant totally in fun. You need to learn to chill a little Clive (See, called you by your name too :rolleyes: ).