Making stuck slides move...???

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TheMusicMan, Mar 11, 2003.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/hints as to how to get a totally stuck Bb Sovereign Ct main tuning slide to move?

I have tried valve oil, WD40, cold water inside tube with hot (boiling) water on outside - all to no avail :( it just won't budge.

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

how about a hacksaw?! ;)

when all else fails, we usually end up sending them away..
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I've got some welding gear if it's any use! :shock:

I suppose you could get the band to tune to you! :lol:

Try a Trombone! :cry:

The only 'sensible' advice I can suggest is to leave the cornet to soak in a warm soapy bath for a few hours.

4. asteria

asteria Member

You've probably already tried this but thought i'd mention it just in case. Some people just try pulling the slide out by using their hand but if you loop a cloth through the slide it makes it easier to pull out.
    Obvious i know, but i've found before that some people never think to try that.
    Failing that, the hacksaw is always good! :?

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... some people might say that they would love to use your welding gear to stop my valves from moving

... naaaah, I can play a B or C# with my lip :wink:

.... arrrggghhhhhh.... NEVER !!!!!! :D

Ta for the advice Roger :lol:
  6. twigglet

twigglet Member

What has worked for me before is to boil the kettle and then as it is steaming hold it underneath the right hand side of the slide while getting someone to try and pull the slide out (.........with a cloth!!)

Worth a try, good luck

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

If all else fails, I usually take it to Dawkes (Maidenhead), but I suppose - thats a long drive for you lot! :D:D:D:D:D

The boiling water this a cold slide worked once before for me I think:?

Other than that - get a new cornet? :?

Ben ;)
  8. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

we've got a local guy who does all our repairs if the cloth techniche doesnt work or the valve oil or the soak! :wink:
  9. Boneman

Boneman Member

Do I deduce from this thread that it is possible to tune cornets? . . . Surely not is this a new thing?
  10. rutty

rutty Active Member

This from a trombone player! Hello kettle, this is Pot, you are black, over :wink:

PS, piano means play quietly. Hope this helps :wink:
  11. hornblower

hornblower Member

I had this problem with an old horn I found in an attic clearance, I found soaking it in a warm soapy bath loosened it up enough to do the cloth trick...hope you get it sorted :wink:
  12. twigglet

twigglet Member

The cornet is a very tuneful instrument Simon! But being a trombone player you probably aren't aware of that as your hearing is deafened by all the rasping! :lol: :wink: :lol:
  13. groovy

groovy Active Member

My teacher has a kind of wooden hammer thing known as "the magic hammer" and somehow or other he taps the slide to loosen it off and then it (usually) comes out fairly easily. Does anyone else use this? :D
  14. HBB

HBB Active Member

A woman at my band has a really neat device to get stuck mouthpieces out, it is pretty cool, because with my new cornet I can't shut the case with the mouthpiece still in ............... grrrr..... sovreigns!!
  15. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

You mean they're supposed to move??????

As for the hammer, yes, I have a small rawhide mallet, which I used to use primarily for removing rotors from my french horn (before I reformed) Using a mallet on slides is pretty dicey, if you use a curved block of wood, and a lot of care you may be able to tap it out, but I'd try the warm bath.

I'm not so sure about the boiling water method. If it works (and I'm sure it has for whoeve suggested it, I'd think it's because of the water, not the boiling. If you think about the physical properties of the metal (expands while hot, contracts while cold) then remeber that you have tubing that expands in both diections (i.e. the slide doesn't just expand, the thickenss of the slide's tubing expands, as does the inner tube) so it would make the fit tighter, not looser, so I'd suggest maybe a warm bath (with candles, and a glass of Pinot Noir, skip the bath salts) then if that doesn loosten maube some cold water....(I'd hesitate to recommend ice for fear of popping a weld.)

But those are all just the ramblings of novice, if it's that tough a trip to the shop then lots of slide grease therafter would probably be the best recommendation.
  16. NO NO NO that's all wrong! You're meant to put hot water on, and THEN cold water, to make it expand, then contract really quickly!
  17. Hi Music Man,

A cornet player in my old band used to have a penetrating spray, he swore by it, apparently you spray it on and it seeps through the metal loosening the slide in the process, I just use the wiggle ever so slightly method, it'll start to give eventually and then you can seep in a drop of valve oil, it only needs a millimetre to get it going!

Best of Luck, :)
  18. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Im worried about the cornet have we managed to free the slide yet????

Perhaps we should launch a new campain. "FREE THE SLIDE"

19. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

My instrument is an extension of my body. Do you guys apply the same remedial procedures if you have a stiff leg, for example? Boiling water, wooden hammers, penetrating spray, welding gear, hacksaws...

Good grief. No wonder some bands are short of players.

20. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

You're quite right SM..

well on that premise then, I advise slathering Deep Heat on the afflicted slide..