Making Poverty History

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I don't know how many of you have just finished watching the Vicar of Dibley. I have and, although it wasn't quite what I was expecting, it certainly brought the severity of the situation in Africa back to by attention.
    I'm in the process of ordering my wristband ( I notice you can have a label for your website too)
    It seems that there's a lot wrong with the world at the moment. By erasing the debt and providing countries with a clean slate, it gives them a chance at a happier future.

Just thought I'd let people know that there are details about the campaign here. I'm not meaning to rant, it's just that all that is happening at the moment makes me feel ****** lucky and helpless too.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Poverty History
    many
    slate
    size
    countries
  3. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i saw that too... me and my mate were crying abit at the end... the film on the poverty part was unexplainable... i cant explain how it made me feel ..words cant describe it.

i hope that while there is a major disaster in the world at the moment... people wont forget that all the time there is poverty in 3rd world countries.. and they need help too!

they too die from disease, hunger, and lack of clean water.

and something needs to be done... i hope we can make a difference

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Absolutely stunning piece of TV, on a par with the end of Blackadder IV.

You can help long term by thinking of the Band Aid Trust throughout the year, visiting the site once a month, and (say) making a donation, however small, on three or four of your twelve visits.

Watch this space, as well, as I have something in the pipeline that will mean all tMPers can keep the Band Aid Trust high profile year around.

*sigh* And now I feel guilty because I feel I'm diverting attention away from the Tsunami appeal.

Will

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

At the end of the day there is only so much people like you and me can do...I don't think you have any need to feel guilty at all.
    We in the UK are most fortunate to exist on this tiny island of ours...we don't suffer from earthquakes or volcanoes or devastating storms or floods that claim the lives of thousands (or even as it happens tens of thousands)... but as long as we do what little we can then we've done as much as can be expected.

What we really need to do to have an effect is to knock our politicians heads together by public pressure to get them to do something constructive to help the poor and the suffering and the dying in the areas where the help is most needed.

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

I watched Vicar of Dibley aswell.I didnt expect it to be so serious though!Got me feeling very depressed at the end!

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Don't forget that horrible storm last summer out by Cornwall!

I've always wondered about the appeal to help poverty and starvation. Many people also adopt children from other countries as their contribution. However, there is poverty, starvation and homeless children in every country. I always wrestle with the thought that maybe everybody should help their own country and local area first (as the effect will have a more positive immediate impact) and then the rest of the world, but sometimes I think that those that are starving and in poverty in places like the US and UK should get off their duff and work as I always see help wanted signs and adverts in the paper for jobs, so we should really help people in other countries where the dollar or pound goes much further and people appreciate it more - then I often just give up in frustration agreeing that politicians ought to ignore their personal intreats and sort this our for those of us that are not clever in this area.

8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

oh bum!!!!!! I missed it :-?

:-(

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm with Pat on this one. I'm torn between helping those nearest (a sort of get your own house in order first) to make a more immediate impact or help those who are neediest - let's face it, there is absolutely no need for anyone in a western democratic country to be in poverty - that is real poverty.

Then, there is no real need for there to be so-called 3rd world debt either. If western governments and western banks weren't making so much money out of it there wouldn't be any 3rd world debt.

As it is, if I understand the situation correctly, the countries affected can't get out of debt because the money they spend servicing the debt can't be used to improve their productivity. The debts are so great that they can't ever repay them anyway and the interest just keeps mounting up and making it even worse.

It's about time the creditors got together and decided to write the whole thing off as a dead loss - like they would with a bankrupt and at least let the countries spend their money getting themselves into some sort of shape.

But I forgot. If they did that, they might actually start being a force in the world, and that would never do.How can we possibly allow those poor ignorant savages to be able to afford to run their own countries properly? They might deny us access to their resources and then where would we be! :shock:

Who said imperialism was dead? Whoever they are they're stupid!

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Those calling for a write off of all African debt should think about this problem more deeply.
    If we just write off the debt the strong temptation of the creditors will be to just walk away - its human nature. Nobody lends more to a defaulter - once bitten twice shy as they say.
    A debtor who tries their best to pay may attract additional help from the creditor nations, who may think they stand more chance of getting back their investment if they invest just a bit more.

11. cornetkate

cornetkate Member

I thought it was an excellent show,

The only question I have is, does anyone else (like me) think that it should have been on before Christmas and this would have perhaps helped raise more money for the band aid appeal??

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Poverty History
    many
    slate
    size
    countries
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Perhaps they would walk away, but then, maybe they should. The bottom line is that these poor countries haven't got a cat in hell's chance of paying the debt off. The greedy money lenders shouldn't have lent them so much in the first place. The only thought they had was of how much money they could squeeze out of these emerging nations. It never occurred to them - and it should have - to ask what would happen if the countries became unable to repay the debt. Then, when it became obvious that there were problems, they could have limited the interest charges they were making.

Any credit company operating in this way would be lambasted throughout the financial world for preying on its customers the way the banking institutions have preyed on the African countries. If the money they are currently using to service their debts were able to be spent on developing their resources there is a good chance that they won't need further borrowing.

As for your last point, I'm afraid that would just be another opportunity to fleece these poor people further and make them even poorer.

14. rutty

rutty Active Member

I've added the white band to my site and emailed Tony Blair too. I didn't see the show though, was it on Saturday night? I was over the Atlantic at the time on my way back over here.

My only reservation about this is the potential aid this may give to those regimes in poor countries with despotic leaders. Would this just give these leaders more funds to build bigger palaces at the expense of their own populace, or even allow them to carry out worse abuses?

I understand that in the most part, this will not be the case so I'm more than happy to support the campaign. I hope it all works out :)

15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

No, I think the timing of it was impeccable.

It was always likely that the DTKIC would lose the number one slot after Christmas.

With Steve whatsisname at number one, the push that the Vicarm of Dibley gave keeps the issue in the public eye. Before Christmas it would have been one item amongst many.

JMTP;YVMV

16. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

have to admit, didnt quite cry but was filling up. very moving tv.

i have ordered a wristband, and please, everyone else do the same.
    please. we can do something, so lets not just standby and say "oh yeh, thats a good idea" and then do nothing!

17. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

i saw it, and i have known about the make poverty history campaign, for some time now.

2005 is the year to make it happen.
    after the iraq war, i dont think Tony Blair can ignore us any longer.

No Country has a right to live in the extremities that these countries have to.

No Person has to live in fear of death every single day, just because their water isnt clean enough.

Clear the Debt.

Make Poverty History

I am planning to go to Geneagles in July, and im planning a few activities to get this cause known.
    just tell your friends to go to that site and let them see the pain and suffering that those countries have to endure.

No more Dying

Kellyx

18. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My wrist bands arrived today.... the problem with them being white is that I've already got tomato soup on mine :-? !

19. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

lol mine arrived today. can practically guarantee i will spill something on it/lose it almost immediately, altho maybe i should make it a late new years resolution to not lose it.