Making of Brassed Off

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by maestO_SO_musical, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Did anyone see that TV programme last night about the making of Brassed Off?

I was excellent
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

What part did you play?
  3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Probably had a line in every scene, even though that line wasn't always required or made sense to the scene.
  4. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

Very well produced... I think the same show produced by film4 would not have been as good...

I thought the personal interviews with the cast were very emotive... particularly with Pete Poselthwaite and Steven Tompkinson....

My father was in the band for 17 years until 2006 and hence was in the film and it was very interesting to find that despite further successes after Brassed Off, they and indeed the rest of the cast, still regard this as the film they are most proud to have been part of.
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Andy, perhaps you could settle an arguement for me then as your Dad was involved. Where were the scenes for the finals shot. I say its not the RAH but others say the RAH was used.

6. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

It was Birmingham Town Hall inside.. the shots outside were taken in London at the RAH...

The hospital where Dany was treated was actually an art college in Doncaster...

Steven Tompkinson was probably the cast member who was most attached to the band... He actually came along to the Nationals the year after the film release to support the band -- including appearances at The Goat and The Queens Mews.... ad continued supporting the band well into the saturday night...!
  7. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Ouch !

I've spotted him a few times on TV.

I think the technical term is interference.
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Cheers for the info Andy.

Steven Tompkinson was very passionate when he spoke about the film (so too Pete Postlethwaite). It was interesting that even after 11 / 12 years they feel so passionately about the film.

Whilst I have always enjoyed the film for the banding aspect it still stands up as a superb piece of film making.
  9. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

The scrolling text at the end was a direct jibe at the tory party... Put the film perfectly into context (as if it didnt need it!)
  10. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

what channel was it on?
  11. horn1

horn1 Member

Is it going to be on again?
  12. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

BBC 1 - 10:35pm last night
  13. Bungle

Bungle Member

It's not on the BBC iplayer :(
  14. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

It was an excellent programme - especially hearing how the director,producer and the actors hold a special place for the film on their cv's.

Banders can easily get a bit sniffy about "Brassed Off",perhaps forgetting that it wasn't really a film about brass bands - that just happened to be a vehicle for the bigger story - but I think in general we should be grateful it was made.
  15. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

I've just e-mailed Mr BBC to ask whether the show will be aired again...

I'll keep everyone posted.
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Probably be replayed on BBC3 later in the week
  17. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

shame about Grimethorpe's Co-Op store though after the great fire of Grimethorpe!!!!
  18. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

"we're gonna burn t' co-op down..."
  19. andylockett86

andylockett86 Member

like the film an extremely funny moment in an otherwise serious programme! and the drill through the window of the chippy!!!
  20. Veri

Veri Member

I'm gutted that I missed it.