Making Music for Rainbows

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Hi all. Had an interesting leaflet given to me at band and thought I'd share it with my favourite people. :biggrin:
    ************************************************************************************

Making Music for Rainbows

Dare you take the challenge to learn a completely new instrument to ABRSM Grade 1 standard in just eight weeks, raising funds for Rainbows Children's Hospice in the process? If you feel you can, then here are the simple steps to follow:
    • Step 1 - Decide which instrument you wish to learn (this should be as far removed from your current instrument as possible). Find a buddy who can teach you the new instrument while your teach your buddy.
    • Step 2 - Register your intention to take part in the challenge individually on the Rainbows web site. Log on to the web site, look for the Grade Presto box on the front page, click then register.
    • Step 3 - Full information packs with your sponsorship forms will be sent to your home address at the beginning of June.
    • Step 4 - Secure a minimum of £50 sponsorship (£26 of which represents the ABRSM examination fee). Extra sponsorship may be obtained should you pass the examination with either a merit or distinction. The examination fee should be sent to Rainbows before 7 July.
    • Step 5 - Commencing 10 July, begin to learn and practice with your music buddy. You have eight weeks from this date.
    • Step 6 - 4 - 8 September examinations will be held at the music department of Loughborough college. However, if you manage to get a group of 15 or more musicians together, the examiners will come to you. The ABRSM have agreed to expedite the sending of results to those taking part.
    • Step 7 - 11 - 15 September, arrange a solo or group recital of one or two pieces for your sponsors, overwhelming them with your skill on your new instrument. Then play the same one or two pieces on your usual instrument to show them how it should have been played. Rehearsal with your own instrument is expected, any form of rehearsal with your new instrument should be avoided.
    All sponsorship, (less the £26 examination fee) should be sent to Rainbows Childrens's Hospice as soon as possible after the recital.

Any other form of music event raising funds for Rainbows Children's Hospice during the summer should not be discouraged.

Have fun making music for Rainbows.

Please feel free to contact Alex Macpherson at Rainbows at any time.

Direct line - 01509 638056
    E-Mail - fundraising@rainbows.co.uk
    Register at - www.rainbows.co.uk
    ABRSM - www.abrsm.org.uk

I appreciate that not everyone can get to Loughborough, but take note of Step 6 - "However, if you manage to get a group of 15 or more musicians together, the examiners will come to you."​

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rainbows
    Step 7
    638056E-Mail
    CENTER
    LIST
  3. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Reet!!

I'm going to be taking my Grade 1 on violin! Could be interesting. Maybe I'll be a child prodigy on violin and I've been wasting the last 7 years on horn in a brass band when I could be making money playing for an orchestra!

It's another thing on the CV anyway.. "In 2006 september, I failed my grade 1 violin" :rolleyes:

First things first..

Has anyone got a violin I could borrow please? :rolleyes::tongue:

Oooo OOoo OOooo I can't wait! :biggrin::biggrin:

4. LilMissFlugel

LilMissFlugel Member

can i join your orchestra vicky pweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez ????

my friend plays flute and we are going to give it a go :p

for once when i say i play the flugel and people say "a what?... a flute?" i can say yes:):):):)

5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

ooooh i want to do it! but kind of can't get to loughborough :( hmmm do you reckon I could do the exam somewhere down here instead? I fancy the violin aswell I think! or maybe the trombone! :tongue: although I can already play a C Major scale on a trombone.... so maybe that wouldn't be allowed? :tongue:

Or maybe I could just do a similar think for my local children's hospice? I could learn to play violin in the 6 weeks i'm in plaster! :D hmmm :D This could be fun!

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't you do it on bass drum?

;)

7. meandmycornet

but Vicki is a very amazing and very experienced bass drummer! she must be like grade 8 bass drum by now! :D

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Thank God I'm not within earshot :eek: :tongue:

9. Di

Di Active Member

;)

10. Vickitorious

Reet!

I have a Violin!! :biggrin::biggrin: Thanks to one of my friends who used to play it a while back! :biggrin:

Aaand.. I have to spend a £5 book voucher by weds! (well, it was meant to be last friday latest! :rolleyes:) for a prize giving thing, so i'm buying myself a "teach yourself Violin" book! :biggrin: Wheeey!!!

Innit! :rolleyes:

11. Di

Di Active Member

Oh dear, what have I done? :eek::eek:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Rainbows
    Step 7
    638056E-Mail
    CENTER
    LIST
  13. meandmycornet

hahaha lucky you Di! I hope for your's and steve's sake that vic's a child prodigy, like she's says! otherwise you might have a bit of a headache! Good Luck mumsie!

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

I've heard her on Skype - she's erm.... a good horn player... :D

15. Vickitorious

Ooooh I wanted to put up a recording of me on violin, but I can't do it :(

It's not that bad! I can 'play' 3 tunes already! :biggrin: Haha!! Wheeeyy!

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I want to do it!!! I want to learn drum kit!!! Do the examiners come to the place in the town where they normally do exams or can you ask them to come anywhere such as your school?

17. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I did something similar a few years ago. My mum and sister are both accomplished pianists and they said to me that I wouldn't be able to do my grade one...I never bothered to learn before. Well, I did all the practise only to be too ill to take the exam but I'm sure I would have passed with flying colours!! It sounds a great way of making some money...anyone need sponsoring?:)

18. glidng_slide

glidng_slide Member

19. Di

Di Active Member

Yes please! :biggrin: When the forms arrive. ;)

I remind you again, for the examiner to come to your town, you need 15 or more people to take part. ;)

20. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Yep, I saw that bit, I just meant can you choose specifically where the examiners come? Because I know that the place where ABRSM exams are taken near us doesn't have a drum kit :rolleyes: And I think it might be asking a bit much to learn drums AND how to put them together in 8 weeks :tongue:

21. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

No problem:tup