Making and selling websites - taxable income?

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by woonesuf, May 4, 2018.

  1. woonesuf

    woonesuf New Member

    Hey :)

    I work full time, but I spend time at home creating websites for business, individuals and occasionally myself. I was wondering if anyone else does similar in the UK and can help me out with tax? I'm not sure what I should be paying from my income as I am often trying new software and hardware to help me out. I've looked at sites like this tax calculator but there's no option for second jobs so was hoping someone here could help me out.

  2. GER

    GER Active Member

    You need to register with HMRC as self employed and will then need to complete a tax return each year. Your income from selling the websites is taxable, but you allowed to deduct any expenses incurred in the course of your business, things like buying software, stationery, postage, any travel to and from your customers etc etc. I can't tell you what rate you will have to pay tax at as it is dependent on your earnings from both jobs. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further
  3. woonesuf

    woonesuf New Member

    Can I register as self employed on top of my normal job? My normal job puts me at the top end of the first tax bracket (20%)
  4. 4th Cornet

    4th Cornet Active Member

    Yes. You can (and must) register for as many self-employed business income streams you have. If you don't you're evading tax.
  5. GER

    GER Active Member

    You not only can, if you don't register within 3 months of starting you are subject to a penalty.