Making a garage into a practice room

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

I have just moved house. In in my last place (a 2nd floor apartment) I had lots of complaints from a grumpy neighbour who didn't appreciate the lovely sound of me practicing...but now I'm in a proper, whole house with a garage and everything!

...but I would still rather not annoy the neighbours too much, so it occurred to me that maybe I could make the garage into a sort of practice room at some point!

I'm thinking, to soak up the sound as much as possible before it leaves the garage, I would need to put carpet on the garage floor, hang sheets/blankets/curtains around the edges of the garage, and maybe make the window 'double-glazed' by nailing some clear plastic stuff to them...

...I've also heard that people put egg boxes on the walls to soak up the sound?

Does anyone have any other tips for making a garage into a practice room? :):):)
  2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep. If this:

Is your primary motivation, then the only thing that would serve a very minor purpose is the idea of secondary glazing. The carpet and curtains will alter the acoustic properties of the room, but will do absolutely nothing about soundproofing.

The main 'secret' to soundproofing is mass, mass and generally more mass (along with a few other bits and pieces).....which means that a single walled garage with (more than likely) a simple roof construction won't be 'soundproof' in either an in or out fashion.

And forget eggboxes ;)
  3. Lisa

Lisa Member

Yes, that's my main motivation...

Oh dear, so won't carpets/curtains even dampen the sound so that it travels less far?

I am also thinking though, the house is a semi-detached house, and the garage is the furthest away building from the other attached even if the garage isn't sound-proof, it might still be the best place for me to practice without annoying people...

yeah, a quick look on google seemed to suggest that egg boxes don't do a lot!
  4. KMJ Recordings

Short answer - not really.

The fact that the garage is distal to the neighbour in question works in your favour....

However, the issue comes with the amount of noise that will escape in general from the building - I can frequently hear people practising around here from inside a double skinned construction with formal double glazing when the windows are closed. You're talking about putting yourself in a much less enclosed space which, without modification, means that you'll potentially be 'entertaining' the whole street.....
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Don't you like using a mute?
  6. Lisa

Lisa Member

Hmm, maybe this bright idea wasn't such a bright idea then! Probably best to stick to practicing in the house.

As for mutes, no I don't like using mutes much because I think they make my sound go very hard and thin
  7. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

8. KMJ Recordings

They work on a similar principle to the Esmono Booths here which come in at a very nice £8G :D

In addition to looking over at Soundstop, you could also check out the studio design forums over at Sound on Sound and Studiotips....reading Rod Gervais' book would tell you why you're doing what you're doing.

DIY is much cheaper than getting someone in to do it for you, but it still ain't cheap if you do it properly.
  9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Do you know, I'm sure I've seen these used as adjudicator's boxes sometimes ...
  10. KMJ Recordings

The contests don't have the budget for them, so they use tissue paper for the box construction but provide the occupants with noise cancelling headphones ;)