Major theMouthPiece.com announcement.......

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by TheMusicMan, Jan 24, 2003.

?

Are you interested in taking part in tMP.com event? Friday 21st November 2003

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Just read this, this sounds soooo cool, a tMP massed band on telly :D Where do I sign up and add myself to the surely loads of horns you've already got? :lol:

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

:wink:

3. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

They tend to do a lot of comedy remakes of various things on Children in Need, usually involving celebrities.
    The BBC could always get celebrities to recreate a scene from Brassed Off (with music supplied by none other than the tMP.com band...) :lol:

4. tubatu

tubatu Member

Have there been any developments yet?

5. Di B

Di B Member

Quick question on this....

Any ideas on the levels of music to be played? I thought of mentioning this event to people in my training band. The idea of a massed band on tv would be a real buzz and give lots of motivation for the learners, but I wouldn't want them to feel out of their depth with the pieces or make a mess of it on national television (I'll leave that to the experienced players! lol!)

Of course, kids also give the cute 'aww' factor that the beeb will like.....

Maybe a brass band 'Last night of the Proms' style short set would go down well?? (Can you imagine all the euphs doing the cadenza?!) You could also look at doing the fancy dress option here too...

Hope these ideas are of amusement even if no help! :wink:

6. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

According to Roger in the random chat forum we're still waiting for the BBc to confirm if they want us. If we do go I think we should keep it to something simple so as many TMPer's as possible (kids included) can take part. This event is for everyone not just top players

7. Di B

Di B Member

I agree that it is for everyone, but I am on about beginners and learners here, not just young players.

Some would struggle with quaver work, some with semis, some with c#'s!

Unless we go on and play one octave of C major I know some of my learners will not be able to go, if we played Year of the Dragon I think none of them would want to go! - I just need to have an idea of the type of program we would be looking at and was asking for this to be made available once/if we have the go ahead. That way I can get as many of people as I can to go.

I also think for many players, the idea of learning a part before the band gets together on the day may be beneficial and give confience to those that need it!

One of the reasons I suggested proms stuff is because most people in a senior brass band (and some in junior ones too!) have played it at some time or another and most bands have copies of fantasia, jerusalem, etc and it is well known by the public. This is just a suggestion though!

Anyway, I am aware this is in advance of the go ahead, so I'll leave it there for now.

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Having been put in charge of the music selection for this event it would obviously have to be kept pretty basic. I doubt if there would be an opportunity to rehearse an entire concert programme on the day so it would have to be music that everyone is familiar with. ie: Shepherd's Song, Memory, Slaidburn, etc.

As regards players from training bands, we did make a stipulation right from the beginning that only tMP members would be eligible to play and any junior players (under 16) would need parental consent. Again this will depend on how many the BBC want and what type of music they would like us to play. No doubt they will have an input on this.

Just to keep you all updated we are desperately trying to get a decision from the BBC regarding the whole event. John has been ringing constantly over the last week but they still haven't confirmed anything.

As soon as we get details you can be assured they'll be posted on here.

:wink:

9. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Reality check - over 1000 tmp members, whittled down to potentially one brass band!!! I don't wish to be negative as this is a really upbeat site but competition will be stiff, just wanted to highlight the fact so that people can manage their expectations/disappointments. For those of us not selected we'll have to watch from home and be really proud of belonging to the tmp organisation.

10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

it could always be a social too!

11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

sniff.... looks like i missed the poll! However if you're short of Trombones (doubtful, but hey, worth a shot!) I'd love to come along!

12. dyl

dyl Active Member

You may be aware that a further announcement has been made regarding the event. It can be located here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=3187

Please use this new thread to register your wish to take part - please try and make sure that this new thread is only used for this purpose.

If you have any questions regarding the event, please leave them here: http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=3197 and as soon as we have the answers ourselves, we will endeavour to answer them a.s.a.p.

This topic will now be locked so that we can monitor the progress of people's interest better in the specified thread.

Thanks,

Dylan.
    Moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.